Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Momoshy
    Reply to Logo motorcycle magazine
    Momoshy
    Hey, what kind of magazine is this?
    Because, when I think of motorcycles, I think of very macho men, Heavy metal, tatooed men on Harley Davidson style, which I relate to a heavy, raw and straight...
    Today, 03:01 PM
  • Momoshy
    Reply to Is this too harsh?
    Momoshy
    I will give you a general advice in life, never reject by writing means. Always call, unless you have the social abilites of Sheldon Cooper.

Writing messages always come across harsher than...
    Today, 02:46 PM
  • creare
    Logo motorcycle magazine
    creare
    the name to use is moto rivista, motorcycle magazine. the handlebars represents the letter t

Today, 02:30 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    creare
    should be made more 'compact, too long that font in my opinion .
    in small as is? the two initials I would give more 'strong.
    Today, 02:26 PM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to New Here
    Lucifer
    Welcome aboard. If you want to make this your career, you'll need to get a degree.
    Today, 01:08 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever used these in a design?

2d datamatrix barcodes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode
    amongst other things, its a cool but geeky way of hiding information - email, web addresses, telephone nos, secret info etc. on things... if you have a barcode reader (on your phone for example), scan the above and get a message from me.. You can make your own here if you want.. http://83.145.232.112/create.jsp?terms=accepted
    i've heard it's a big thing in Japan and it's set to become more and more popular on this side of the planet too...
    The beginning is always today.

how would you use it?
    My Site

Comment

I've seen them on various things like shipping labels, but have never had to create or use one.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I try not to use anything too subtle or needlessly complicated because I would have to provide secret decoder rings for people to really 'get' my designs, and I think that would cut into my profit margin.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

i think in japan they have this codes on products. scan it with ur mobile phone for info, discounts etc... wonderful. there's one in the local papers too. they use it to promote stuff and all. save on ad space i guess. some of these codes can be very colorful...

once my country go fully 3G, these stuff will pop up more i guess. =)
          i need wii friends =)
          5289 3036 7758 7104

Comment

Can I get a tattoo of that?
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Why not?
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

She might have used the design for her tattoo

Comment

The picture you posted is a Smartcode or something if my memory serves me right. Mostly used in transport/on products(?).
                  The barcode that is popular in Japan is called QR (Quick Response). They print it on different stuff, and you can use your mobile phone to read the code and for example get an URL that you can use to get content related to whatever the QR is printed on.
                  One of the main reasons that 2d barcodes are more popular in Japan is that the phones already have readers installed when you buy them.

You can download a free QR reader to your mobile phone (if it's supported) here:
                  http://reader.kaywa.com/

We recently had a project together with SINTEF (a research organization) here in Norway, where they created a barcode called CybStickers. This was a little test project at a Norwegian film festival. Read more about it here

This code is not so "advanced" as the QR-code, meaning that it can only contain a certain amount of information (a couple of numbers).
                  Since no phones here are included with a barcode reader, we used MMS.
                  You would see a CybSticker on the street, pull out your mobile phone and take a picture of it, send it to a 4 digit phone number and get a MMS containing a video in return.

Comment

wow that's cool fredrich!
                    I'd spend all day scanning stickers over there!

Comment

nice post frederich
                      When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                      But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

A co-worker showed me a bit about QR with his Sharp phone from Japan. That one had a QR reader/creator integrated.

He did one very cool thing, which was scanning several QR codes (9 I think), and when he was done, the information collected from the barcodes became a small picture.

Comment

It sounds cool, but I'd like to see some real application for the hassle. As of right now, QR just seems like another venue for advertising. Do we really need more of that?

"Collect all bar codes in your Happy Meal and get a free ring tone."

Ugh. I'd love for the US to get this technology if they found a practical application for it. I noticed that you could store phone numbers in it, which would be great on business cards.
                          Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfPark
                            Ugh. I'd love for the US to get this technology if they found a practical application for it. I noticed that you could store phone numbers in it, which would be great on business cards.
                            For sure, scan a list of numbers with your phone and they are instantly on there. Good thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfPark
                              I noticed that you could store phone numbers in it, which would be great on business cards.
                              you can store any info on it... i am actually currently using them on my business cards as it can hold my email, web addy, phone numbers and a happy greeting all in one and will scan directly onto a phone - so no messing around typing numbers and stuff in... time saver

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X