Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    Yeah, it's too bad new designers don't know them.
    I had a couple sub-vendor printers go completely offline for two weeks in November due to a Christmas crush. They didn't take any new orders for...
    Today, 01:07 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    You shouldn't be looking on google images... at least not without expecting to pursue permission to use the images. Google images is NOT a stock site, though some stock shows up in it.

There...
    Today, 01:01 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    PrintDriver
    Very strange. You want someone to tell you how to set up a site so YOU will benefit?
    The Graphic Design part sounds like it will be very important to the success of your site.
    How much money...
    Today, 12:54 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Getting started...
    PrintDriver
    You should start first with a business plan. You can find help with those at your local Small Business Association or many online resources. Kool had a nice 2-part blog post here at one time about how...
    Today, 12:46 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Need advice for creating a label
    PrintDriver
    The description you have written...
    1. it needs to be proofread for grammar usage.
    2. "made...by a software developer and design student" is not making me want to buy this. Unnecessary...
    Today, 12:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC to Mac color issues

So, I'm used to working on a mac & just got a spanking new job working on a PC .

Anyhoo - I created a banner file in Illustrator with a linked JPEG image as a background. All was set up in CMYK and to the printer's specs. The background image by the way is sky/clouds.

The printer is using a Mac to print out & is saying that my background is PURPLE!! I've seen issues arise going cross platform before with colors. What do I do to fix the issue. I can't have a purple banner.

Please help!

1) Don't use jpegs in print. The colour is flakey.

2) You could try calibrating your monitor. There are a lot of solutions available for this.

3) Don't trust what you see on screen, anyway. With experience, you should have a reasonable idea of what CMYK values will print as. If you don't have that experience, or you need a more accurate idea of the colour, well, that's what Pantone books and the like are for.

Comment

like hewligan said, i would recommend using a tiff file for this instance. also, make sure your color spaces in both programs are the same, they should be.

cmyk- US Web Coated SWAP v2
      rgb - Adobe RGB 1998
      ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I agree that I need to calibrate the monitor, I've used Huey in the past, but don't have that available here at the moment. I am pretty proficient at checking CMYK values for print & have a Pantone Process book on order.

In the meantime, I will double check my color spaces & provide a TIFF instead of the JPEG.

As far as my monitor color profile, is there a specific one anyone would recommend for designing print work? The one I am currently using is VX1935wm-3 (default one that came with the ViewSonic monitor I am using).

I'm not really a newb to the design business so this is embarrasing. I am used to working on Macs, though. Is this a common issue or is it just coincidence that I am only stumbling on this now that I am using a PC?

Comment

Like they said, use tiffs, not jpegs.
          The computer platform shouldn't be an issue. Whatever the CMYK values are in your file should be the same no matter what computer you open the file on. It may look different due to different monitors, but the info doesn't change. Check the CMYK values in the graphic. If there are similar percentages of cyan and magenta, then you are going to get purple.

Also, what is the printer printing it on? Is the proof purple? Is their proofer calibrated to print press-match proofs. What CMYK values do they see in the graphic?

If the colors look good on your end, my first thought is that there is a file conversion somewhere that is changing the file to RGB. If you are submitting a PDF exported out of Illy, check the PDF settings and even open and check the PDF to see if there is any color conversion happening.

Comment

could be a profile thing. Did you let Illy embed a profile on saving? If so, the right one?

Comment

With the money they are "saving" getting you a PC, ask them to spring for a monitor calibrator (eyeone or huey) and a decent monitor
              Macs have onboard color calibration utility, not so with PCs.

Seriously though, I have worked in both PC and Mac design environments. Currently on a mac now, worked on PC in my last position and macs before that. I have never had any problems outputting correct colors when working between platforms (I have had plenty of font related problems but that's a whole other conversation). Though I did have a monitor spyder for calibrating my CRT monitor on the PC.

I'm sure you have done this already, but the obvious culprits maybe...
              Check file>color mode, make sure it is CMYK
              I would also check your edit>color settings (SWOP is a standard formulation of inks; it usually works)

It sounds more like a monitor issue than anything to me.

Get a proof, ask your service provider for advice - If your printer gives you a custom output profile, you may need to make specific choices in the color settings menu.

These links maybe helpful
              Obtaining custom profiles for desktop printers
              http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Illustra...A57B00130.html

Install a color profile
              http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Illustra...A57B00130.html

Comment

I've checked my color settings and color profiles and all are in order. So, with the TIFF, most of my issues are cleared up. I went ahead & put everything in layers in PS, with a transparency on the left. The printer is saying all is okay now, EXCEPT the portion with the transparency is printing out purple. My Pantone process book should arrive tomorrow, but the CMYK values are 57 26 8 0. This shouldn't be purple, no?

Any known issues with transparency and discolorations?

BTW - this forum ROCKS!

Comment

"Accidently" spill some water on the PC, then get a Mac.
                  "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                  LinkedIn

Comment

Ya I work with a PC as well. Havent noticed any real color issues

Trevor
                    Living Large in Trenton..........BOOYAH

Comment

On the one hand, colour display is more accurate on a Mac - at least in general, though there's a lot you can do to improve Windows' colour.

On the other hand, you just can't trust the colours you see on your monitor, anyway.

(And if you then send a job to one of those laser printing places, you might as well just accept that colour accuracy is something that happens to other people - he says from bitter experience.)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X