Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on RIP: The Necrology Thread
    <b>
    As just a listener of music, his work with Cream, along with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, have been among my most favorite pieces of music since I was just a kid. Somehow it always manages to surprise...
    Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clients are a complete pain in the A

Has anyone got a way of making clients understand that a print deadline is given on the understanding that they should provide (pretty much) the correct text at the first time of asking.

I'm getting a little fed up of pointing them towards their contract to take a look at the "rules" and of the ear ache I get after a deadline is missed because of their ineptitude (is that a word???)

Anyway, apologies in advance just a little p!ssed of at the moment having just reset the same document for the 8th time
    A woman tells her doctor, 'I've got a bad back.'
    The doctor says, 'It's old age.'
    The woman says, 'I want a second opinion.'
    The doctor says: 'Okay - you're ugly as well.'

Oh! and please no-one come back with the old chestnut about - it's the client that pays your wages - COS I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!!

Comment

Part of the job.

I get clients who change text on press (so to speak - post-rip in wide format is almost the same as burning plates).

Comment

Yep, par for the course, client's always right, bla bla The thing that gets me especially if it goes to press and there are changes and the client does not want to pay the price and was forwarned!! We get this all the time " Well, the other printer didn't charge us for new plates."
        WYSIWYG

Comment

In my experience, "clients" and "understand" are words that don't belong in the same sentence.

Comment

I'm really sick of getting taken to task for missed deadlines or late nights the day before when it's the client who isn't delivering me the content. I've got one guy who is really sweet and he set up this nice schedule and asset due dates for the Friday before a Tuesday newsletter, etc etc. Then he gives me the assets he owes me freakin MONDAY NIGHT. Then he calls me Tuesday, after the email goes out on time of course because thats the kind of girl I am, and says, "I really think we shouldn't be working on these on Monday nights, lets try to get it done earlier, ok?"

Or the project that was originally due a week ago today and supposedly HAS to go to print tomorrow to make shipping dates and such and I still have no images and no marketing copy. What EXACTLY should I be laying out here? Pretty color bars and gradients? I'm so annoyed.
            Think of me as programmable soda.
            Tori Amos

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kessler
              In my experience, "clients" and "understand" are words that don't belong in the same sentence.
              Good one Ben!

I have a statement in my proposals that state major changes can affect deadlines and that I will keep them informed if this is the case. It's going to happen though. The customer is usually crunched for time as much as you are so they tend to rush through things - especially text.

A virtual hug, a pat on the back and a "there, there" is all I can offer.

Comment

^Exactly. If a client changes something after it goes to print and by the grace of God I catch it before it runs I charge for it. If they give me the line (which they inevitably do) the other guy didn't charge me, it's a red flag, I ask why are you not still using him.
                How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

i usually use three deadlines - a proofing deadline.. and a final deadline....and then my actual print deadline the clients don't know about. Guaranteed thay'll have some changes even after the 'final' deadline so my print 'buffer' works wonders. If they're even more unorganised than that.. they pay for the re-print. simple.
                  The beginning is always today.

Comment

Originally posted by captain spanky
                    i usually use three deadlines - a proofing deadline.. and a final deadline....and then my actual print deadline the clients don't know about. Guaranteed thay'll have some changes even after the 'final' deadline so my print 'buffer' works wonders. If they're even more unorganised than that.. they pay for the re-print. simple.

That buffer only works once though. Clients are like kids - they learn quickly what they can get away with. Next time they'll expect the same.

Comment

You all feel the pain!

I'm trying to play hard ball with my boss at the moment - I told him when I recently started this job that I wasn't prepared to work late and so all clients would have to be informed that print deadlines were therefore even more inportant to adhere to - though I am starting to be warn down by themů out there!

Comment

I learned that the hard way many, many moons ago Balou and it is absolutely true. You can try making them stand in the corner but as soon as you turn around they will stick their tongue out at you.
                        How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

you told your boss that you weren't prepared to work late?

that didn't work, right? if it did, let me know if you have any openings.

man, late hours go hand in hand with this biz like computer crashes and clipping path parties.

(re clipping path party: ever had to cut out a lot of product, for say a catalog or magazine spread? if not, it's like formatting text in that it becomes so automatic and monotonous. so, put on some old 80s duran duran or something to slightly distract you and clip your way into the late evening...)
                          Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by jessicam
                            I'm really sick of getting taken to task for missed deadlines or late nights the day before when it's the client who isn't delivering me the content. I've got one guy who is really sweet and he set up this nice schedule and asset due dates for the Friday before a Tuesday newsletter, etc etc. Then he gives me the assets he owes me freakin MONDAY NIGHT. Then he calls me Tuesday, after the email goes out on time of course because thats the kind of girl I am, and says, "I really think we shouldn't be working on these on Monday nights, lets try to get it done earlier, ok?"
                            so...if you're not online to get emails, and your cell phone is off 'after business hours'...how's his job gonna get done?...it won't...clients, like kids should benefit from natural consequences...but, i'm being naive...maybe...

pd, jimking...those situations suck, and rehab...yours sucks too...your boss can just say, 'if you want the job, you get to stay'...
                            Monarchs Rule!

Comment

pd, jimking...those situations suck, and rehab...yours sucks too...your boss can just say, 'if you want the job, you get to stay'...[/quote]

I want to enjoy my job not feel I'm being manipulated - I don't know how you all feel about it but getting your hands on a good designer these days must be a nightmare for any prospective employer, as just about any moron with a computer seems to think that they design skills and that buying a knocked off copy of Photoshop makes them a designer - it winds me right up - Trying to even get your self through the door for an interview is nigh on impossible due to the huge amount of dross that companies receive every day, your CV forever sinking beneath an ever deepening ocean of mediocrity -

Whoa - hold on!!!

I'm going for a sit down.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X