Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    <b>
    I always try to recommend what I think will work best for the client -- even when it means a lower fee for me. It sort of boils down to a matter of being professional and honest, which as far as I'm concerned,...
    Today, 12:40 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Keep Or Not To Keep

HAI GUYS.

I have a few questions for you all. Since graduating, I've gotten into the habit of finding and squirrelling away brochures, flyers, cards, annual reports, posters with designs that I find pretty/interesting.

It's getting a little messy in my room.

So. Do many of you do this as well? I'm thinking of just taking pictures/scanning the items I like instead of keeping them around indefinitely. Some pieces I keep because I like the texture of the paper, but for the most part my job does NOT involve choosing paper (unfortunately) and I do have a few paper sample booklets as it is. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks!

I never throw anything out .. so don't ask me

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

yea im a bit of a pack rat too. just get a filing cabinet and start sort things out. at least that way you can have it all in one place and have it somewhat organized.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I have 3 folders in my filing cabinet stuffed with printed items I like. Every once in a while I go through and clean out the outdated items. I do reference it though. I like to touch and feel and see the actual printed color so I wouldn't recommend scanning them. My 2 cents anyways.

Comment

I never throw anything out .. so don't ask me
          I hear that. My mom is constantly saying how she barely kept anything as a kid, yet she's as bad as I am. Just trade books/annual reports for table linens and random furniture.
          I have 3 folders in my filing cabinet stuffed with printed items I like. Every once in a while I go through and clean out the outdated items. I do reference it though. I like to touch and feel and see the actual printed color so I wouldn't recommend scanning them. My 2 cents anyways.
          There are a few pieces that I have mostly for the design, since the piece itself is really nothing spectacular. The ones with, say, metallic inks and diecuts are the ones that I KNOW I'll keep. By the way, when do you consider a piece out of date?

Comment

Originally posted by gluhen
            when do you consider a piece out of date?
            You'll know. Like the brochure I had saved one time that used soft edged photos and used Papyrus for the headlines - it got old.
            Last edited by balou; 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by balou
              You'll know. Like the brochure I had saved one time that used soft edged photos and used Papyrus for the headlines - it got old.
              Papyrus was new?

Comment

Rub it in you whippersnapper! You'll get yours! Check the link I added to my last post - what once was hot, eventually is not.

Comment

i got on this list once by filling out a form (i think it was with Barron's), where they would send me a copy of a massive number of companies' annual reports. so, for a period of a couple of years, every january or so, these boxes and boxes of annual reports would start showing up.

i mean, folks usually pull out all the stops on annual reports, so you can pretty much be assured of some outstanding concepts. and, oddly enough, a large amount of shite. please, don't do your company's annual report in word...
                  Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

You just described my first freelance brochure that I did while in college about 12 years ago. I had no idea I had that kind of impact!
                    all other forms of advertising that fall out of that realm, missed the short bus to design school. - d-frag

Comment

Originally posted by INDY GS
                      You just described my first freelance brochure that I did while in college about 12 years ago. I had no idea I had that kind of impact!
                      That was you?! We are not worthy!

Comment

You'll know.
                        *hurl*
                        Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus
                          *hurl*
                          LOL! Sorry to ruin your lunch Ex!

Comment

I don't like McDonalds anyway...
                            Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I wouldn't scan them because it's the printing techniques and stock or folding that attracts me. I throw out a bunch of my treasures every time we move house.

I also used to horde paper. Unprinted sheets of lovely lovely paper.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X