Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    ISitude
    There's a follow-up survey found just after the last vid ...I'm guessing that my written answers are also award winning
    Today, 03:48 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    Agreed.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    PrintDriver
    Then change the title to "Getting Started with Illustrator"
    Not "Logo Design."
    Today, 03:25 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    I honestly think he's just showing some quick tuts to get people started in illustrator. But I know what you mean by people seeing these videos and thinking that's how stuff gets done. An even bigger...
    Today, 03:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Need feedback on this package
    Buda
    The chocolate stuff looks like blood.
    Today, 03:16 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differnece between Saturation and Value.

I'm having difficulty differenciating between Saturation and Value, or Intensity and Brightness. I know what brightness is, but up until now I would have considered intensity to be the same thing. I remember the contrast control on our old B&W television being able to make dark colours darker and bright ones brighter, but I don't think it's the same.

Can anyone explain this for me, or recommend some material I should read?

Thanks for listening,
    Jarlath

Intensity = the brightness or dullness of a color
    Value = the lightness or darkness of a color (add white or black / tints for white, black for shades, gray for tones) Think paint samples where you buy house paint.

Not sure on this one:
    Saturation = the amount of color . For example on a white background, imagine some colored blue dots. The larger the dot gets, the less white background shows and the more saturation.

Comment

Saturation is how much "ink" it puts down. In photoshop it tends to make the darker colors darker, and the bright colors brighter.
      My Site

Comment

Saturation is how much of the colour there is - whether you have a "Strong" or "weak" version of a colour.

Intensity/Value/Brightness are basically just different ways of measuring the same thing. Which means that for most designers they really are the same thing. The differences between them only matter if you want to get into the mathematics of colour spaces. Which you probably don't.

Comment

Thanks for your replies everybody. I think from your answers that the reason I'm confused is that this theory is really more relevant to print / paint (subtractive) as opposed to computer graphics (additive)?

On the HSV palette I've attached, saturation is the veritcle axis (white - pure red) and value is the horizontal (pure red to black). It looks as though Value is a continuation of the Saturation scale. But if these were essentially the same, or mirrors of each other (one brightens it, one darkens it) then the colour along the dashed axis I painted would be constant.

So I understand a little better, thank you all. But I'm still a bit confused. I will check out the paint swatches as Tea suggested.

Jarlath
          Attached Files

Comment

The one way I learned is the value of the color can change by adding white or black to it. The intensity can be changed by adding the complement (add green to red).This is from a painting perspecitive and I think that using software deals with it differently. Adding to your confusion (and mine).

a quick search led me to this spot which may better serve your needs-click on the HSV link in the first paragraph as well:
            http://www.answers.com/topic/saturation-color-theory

Comment

Thank you Tea, that was very helpful. It seems that when you reduce the saturation of a colour, it approaches greyness (i.e. pale) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturat...olor_theory%29, whereas when you reduce the value, it approaches blackness.(i.e. dark) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_%28colorimetry%29

So I think I'd summarize value as brightness, and when you reduce it, it's like turning the lights down on that colour. Reducing Saturation is like 'diluting' the colour with water.

But as you said yourself, I think the theory only streches so far when applied to computers.

Thanks again everybody, I can continue with my book now!

Jarlath

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X