Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sfys
    Reply to school project one pager
    sfys
    thanks! could it be that you watched the site through Internet explorer ?
    I don’t know why but it pushes some things two pixel down. I work on a mac so I mostly tested it on chrome, safari...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • extraordenary
    First Poster Design
    extraordenary
    Hey guys!
    I wanted to know what you guys think about my first poster design. I'm still in high school and I've just recently decided that I was going to pursue in this career path. Prior to this...
    Today, 05:26 AM
  • megoggsc
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    Thank you Billy! I am still working on it, but here is the version that I meant to upload. I emphasized the Portland sign a little more in this one. ...
    Today, 02:49 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    BillyLogan
    Great work! My only concern is that it does not seem to have a focus subject on it. Add something really cool or highlight something you want to emphasize. Aside from that, I find it really artistically...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    BillyLogan
    Designing is both a skill and a talent. It is naturally God-given but you can study about it some more to enhance it. I suggest that you go and study first about the basics, line, color, typography and...
    Today, 01:43 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Overcrowded business card design!

Hi,

After getting my business cards printed, I've had some feedback that the small text is too hard to read.

On the top line, this isn't a problem as there is loads of room between the three texts to increase the size. On the bottom however, they are already cluttered and there really isn't room to increase the font size.

Overall, there really isn't room for any more text. The criteria for the card was that all this information should be visible from the front of the card.

I have a photo of the actual card being held, as well as a png of the card without the phone number here http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1789828.aspx

If anyone would comment, I'd really appreciate it. There isn't a major urgency with the card. I find working against the constraints really interesting and would love to talk to like minded people about ways of working around it.

Thanks!
    Jarlath

The only thing i could think of would be to bring down the main focus of the card, the "Deja Vu" part with the lens flare. I would drop that down as far as you can to the bottom, and use the top part for all your text, from the shot of the guy holding the card, that type looks way smaller then the actual digital proof. with white type on a solid black your really asking for trouble with legibility, so try and keep your kerning wide and your point size about 7.
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

There is hardly any text on your business card. I've seen business cards with much much more infomation on them.

You have just arranged the composition of the text so that they are a border rather than the focus. Rearrange, increase the point size and you are away.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

OMG - Tastefull use of a lens flare? What? Where am I?
        I think it looks fine.
        Former GD. Current Photographer
        http://ascottmccauley.com/

Comment

The good: I love the name. Love the look. The top text, ah..not so much.
          The bad: I wouldn't put anything at the top; I found it distracting.

Why? because....
          The ugly: All I remember right now is Deja Vu = weddings. Oh...and it was a live band. (oops, that's a good.)

It's just a matter of some minor tweaks and what message you want to convey. If weddings is the goal...leave it as is. The message came through for me.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Lots of helpful tips there. I should have mentioned that we are a wedding / function band so yes, that's our goal. I really like the image (lens flare / 'deja vu') and didn't want to off-center it.

I also should have mentioned that the second image I linked to is a rework, but the phone number still needs to go in. I made the fonts bigger by removing the text.

The only other thing I can think of is to either put all that info on the back (not very practical) or to just increase the fonts /kerning and hope for the best. I can't think of a rearrangement that would look right.

Someone suggested replacing 'parties' with the phone number, but I think that's a bit confusing because the top line info is what we do and the bottom line is contact details. Swapping things around would be messy.

Thanks again,
            Jarlath

Comment

Well, thinking about it now . . . if you give someone a phone number, you're intending them to contact you using a phone. If you give them an address, you intend for them to be able to send you a letter or visit in person. If you give them an email address or website address, you intend for them to contact you via email or visit your website. I would argue that you could put either the website or the email address on the card - probably the website. The odds that someone has access to email but not a web browser are pretty slim, the two go pretty much hand in hand. From the website, the user can access all your other contact info, email included.

I'd drop the email address - that will let you pump up the website font size without disrupting the airy layout.
              . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

Looking at your layout, it might be better to use the two line approach. This is based on the second photo, without the number. If you were to put the name "Jarleth" (that's who's listed on the website as the contact person), and the phone number underneath on the left side. And on the right side have the email and website underneath that. I think that it would look good (design-wise). Would that work?
                WordPress Designer and theme developer. KlongDesigns - helping bloggers and non-technical folks claim their space on the internet.

Comment

Those are good ideas. I'll definitely try them both out and see how they look. I'll post up links when they're done.

Comment

what about a two-sided card?

deja vu, live band on front...everything else on back?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                    Working...
                    X