Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Kayekaye
    Reply to While working on a logo for a client, he sent me logo designs from another designer
    Kayekaye
    Clients can be hard to handle, that's part of the job. Your skill as a designer has to include talking your client into what is good for him. Some designers can't do that, so they hire a contact person...
    Today, 08:45 PM
  • LumLum1013
    Reply to Hi everyone !
    LumLum1013
    Hi Buda and KitchWitch!
    Today, 08:35 PM
  • CataclysmX
    Reply to Need advice for logo
    CataclysmX
    What does the organization do? So far its pretty simply and I like it, it seems a bit jagged but maybe that's how it uploaded. I kind of see a D k, and a t just because of how the k connects to the D,...
    Today, 05:43 PM
  • Diggidy
    Graphic Designer for mobile video game
    Diggidy
    We are in need of a Graphic Designer for mobile video game. The game is a 2D platformer style game.
    Please send your resume/website/past work in order to be considered. In return you will be sent...
    Today, 04:30 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    <b>
    That will produce worse results. For example, if you specify the size in which the image displays as 200 x 200 pixels, but you upload a 300 x 300-pixel image, your browser will still need to display that...
    Today, 03:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby ruby ruby ruby soho

Hey guys i'm drawing up a emerald cut ruby for a t shirt and i want to add some reflections and highlights and was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to do it or had a tutorial on something similar. i'm trying to keep it 1 color and vector if possible. any help would be greatly appreciated!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Look for tutorials on how to do blends. You could also look for information on how to use the gradient mesh in Illustrator.
    You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

yea but if i do that then it won't be 1 color. if i was going to go that route i could just do it in photoshop. i'm looking for a reference for the specular highlights. i've never had to draw a shiny/glass object so i don't know how to draw the highlights correctly.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

Comment

dunno but woooooo on the rancid ref rancid rule!
        The beginning is always today.

Comment

I just did a google image search on "Gem Ruby" (not safe for work if safe search isn't on LOL) Rubies don't really shine and sparkle like a diamond. It looks like all you would need to do is darken or lighten some of the segments.

Comment

hahaha thanks kool. i guess the 1 color idea is out. oh well that's not to big of a deal just trying to keep cost down. once i get this finished up i'll show how it turns out.

Comment

You could do it in one color, just start with a pretty dark red and screen back the lighter segments.

Comment

ok im gonna sound like a total newb here but how would i do that? i've never done shades of a color before. would i just pick my color and adjust the slider under it to get the different shades?

Comment

You can use 1 color with a blend and/or gradiet mesh. Google it or check Adobe.com
                  You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Typically
                    would i just pick my color and adjust the slider under it to get the different shades?
                    Basically yes, this will create screens. From looking at those pictures all the edges of the facets are very sharp, unless you wanted to get into a super reality look I wouldn't even mess with gradients.

Comment

If you are using illustrator, use a Pantone color, Or go into your swatch palette and create a swatch of the darkest red you want to use, double click the swatch, and change it to spot color. Now whenever you use the swatch you should be able to adjust the slider in percentages of the color. I created my business cards using one pantone color, with different tints. Good luck, I can't wait to how it looks.
                      Everywhere at everytime in the world, the artist has had to be a strong person in order to retain his own individuality.
                      -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

thought this was a Rancid reference too. oh well, i hope you figure it out, shouldn't be to hard.
                        ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

haha sorry to throw everyone off that song has just been stuck in my head since i got this project =] here is what i've got so far. the colors aren't right yet but it's getting there. do you guys think the reflections work or do they just look cheese?

Comment

Wow, a lot of non-screen printing non-one color info here.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X