Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we delegate some of our job to someone else?

Despite I can’t categorize myself mastering in design, creating our own design can give more satisfaction than enjoying someone else works although they are the more proficient designers than us. It would be a more tremendous satisfaction when knowing our designs are acceptable for the customers.

I am sure, once in a while, each of us get swamped by bunch of works more than our actual capacity. What do you prefer, delegate some of it so someone else or just doing yourself with the most and less priority?

I've taken on overflow for other designers. Mostly production stuff that was really the background work for their pieces like clipping paths needing to be cut and some photoediting. Helps her out when she's in a pinch and doesn't interfere with her designs at all.
    You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Taking to someone else has some risks the final result is not as per customer needs. There are usually some differences making the same object created by different designers. It would be good if the result is better than what they are expected, but if it is worse than what the customers’ wants we have to responsible for their works to the customers.

Comment

I prefer doing everything myself. I'm weird like that.

Ahem *control freak*
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I belive it

Comment

More designers should be willing to farm out production work. Gives them more time to design. A lot of well run studios work that way. Believe it or not, some production artists like being just that, production artists. I gave up actually designing long ago (though still do it when asked at work).

Comment

I've tried farming stuff out, but somethimes it takes as long to organise, brief it and check it than it would to do it yourself.
              Graphic Design Blog

Comment

I work in pre-press, but I don't want to farm out design stuff because I'd rather be a designer than working in pre-press!
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by TR1
                  I've tried farming stuff out, but somethimes it takes as long to organise, brief it and check it than it would to do it yourself.
                  Not if you're organized to begin with and you hire someone who knows what they are doing. A production brief is not like a design brief. There is <usually> very little leeway in interpretation. And if the production person knows what they are doing, you shouldn't have to do any more checking than proofreading. A good production person works toward the press/output device. You shouldn't hire one that doesn't.

Comment

Well, it's ok to farm out jobs that take hours and hours to do sure. But most of my jobs take less than half an hour. Taking 20 minutes to brief someone else is not an option for short jobs.

Comment

No, but if you have a whole magazine or museum exhibit, it may be worth your while.

Comment

I concur

Comment

I think if we have to farm the jobs out to someone, we have to make sure that we know well him and select those jobs that have minimum risks of losing our prospect.

Even though all designers know about job ethical, I think it would be safer doing ourselves the good prospect of customer to prevent any 'cut trough'. I still doubt about loyal customers.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X