Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Designers Think Alike Experiment

Hi

I have read so many articles lately about plagiarism and logos that look alike, even if coincidentally, that I have decided to invite designers to take part in an design experiment. The Do Designers Think Alike Experiment is featured on my blog and invites designers to upload some rough sketches for logos based on 2 fictitious company names and upload them to their webspace on 29th May. Anyone who wants to participate can send me a link to their sketches. I will show the link alongside my sketches on the 29th May. I think it will be interesting to see where similarities lie and how trends effect design.
    Graphic Design Blog

Interesting. Would be fantastic to see all the entries lined up together. I promise to do this on a rainy day.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hi Great, look forward to seeing your sketches
      Graphic Design Blog

Comment

Quite exciting! hope to see all the entries too.
        www.zombo.com

Comment

If I were a behavioural scientist I'd say your experiment design is seriously flawed. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I design, I need motivation-- even if it's just knowing that the paycheque is good.

This experiment will tend to attract those who either seek new social peer connections through work, or those who are hoping for, at least some, 'bragging rights' for their originality. Not that this doesn't describe a lot of designers out there-- but I suspect many, perhaps more experienced designers, do recognize that originality in logo design as not as critical a factor as many others believe. And that most of the best ideas are not created in creative isolation-- you need background research, market context, history-- in short, the stuff covered in creative briefing sessions with the client.

More importantly, you haven't defined your terms. Designer? Define that! (Good luck!).

'Think'? Another subjective term, and (I suspect) due to the context of the whole experiment (kind of the opposite of a blind control) being a public comparison of conceptual strength and originality, I suspect you've already distorted the results to favour the submission of more 'off the wall' concepts than the 'real' everyday results-- which tend to be strongly limited not so much by the creator's imagination, but much more by the client's influence and acceptability range, and the available resources (time and money being the big ones).

'Alike': how will the similarities be judged and assessed objectively?

That's the scientific analysis. But I'm sure if you're just looking at this as a fun way to meet new designers and maybe talk a little shop, hey-- have fun!
          Last edited by Bob; 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
            If I were a behavioural scientist I'd say your experiment design is seriously flawed
            So are you?
            Graphic Design Blog

Comment

More a misbehaviourial scientist, actually. Care to join one of MY experiments?

Comment

Seriously though, yes this is supposed to be fun! I will not be analysing statistics and posting pie charts, but it will be interesting to see similarities. From feedback I had on my blog everyone likes to see sketches and ideas, so this is an ideal opportunity, and if off the wall concepts are shown, that will make it even more interesting. I wonder if the "off the wall" concepts will look alike
                Graphic Design Blog

Comment

Of course all designers think alike. We all like the same types of things such as music, movies, etc.. We all have the same hobbies. And we all have had the same experiences in life. So when it comes time to design we all have the same ideas. Of course I'm being sarcastic however TR1 I think you are stereotyping designers you racist!!! errr.... designerist!!!

Comment

Look forward to seeing your logos then Keith
                    Graphic Design Blog

Comment

We all look the same, so why wouldn't we think alike?
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Dressed in black with square glasses.

Comment

Haha. Today I'm dressed in grey with square glasses. Black is for Fridays.

Comment

Welllll, I did leave off the hair gel just for you. LOL!

Comment

Its obviously not essential for us all to wear our square glasses when designing a logo, but as you know they do increase creativity.
                              Graphic Design Blog

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X