X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect from a Creative Professional networking event

I was considering attending one of my first networking events sponsored by a local creative staffing agency (no, I won't go into my issues with that here... )

I thought I'd take the advice of others here and see what these are all about since I don't get to interact with other creative pros in my in-house marketing/design position, and miss being around other like-minded individuals.

Has anyone else attended one of these? What can I expect?
    Is it a lot of "What do you do?" conversations over and over again?
    Is it a lot of griping about the industry/clients/pay scales?
    Have you benefited from having met other creative pros and does it ever have a positive effect on your career?

Kind of off the subject, but I've noticed while networking in the past that some designers are very protective of how they find work, resources they use, etc., because they see other creative pros as pure competition. It seems like the sense of community while simultaneously competing with those IN the community is a dichotomy.

I've even heard of some digital artists being protective of their custom Photoshop brushes as if they rely on them like a crutch, and if they share it, they'll lose their livelihood. A web cartoonist I'm a fan of has often laughed at this, thinking if that person really thinks they're only as good as that tool, a PS brush, they won't have much of a career anyway. I tend to agree.
    wieNerDog

I've been to Semi-Permanent twice which is a pretty big design conference here where famous names from around the world talk about themselves.

You go with hope of networking, but really, people only talk to their own friends. You do bump into people in the industry that you haven't seen in a while and you exchange details with the people you already know, you don't talk to strangers. Well I don't.

The afterparty is probably the best place to do real networking. There was free booze so people get friendly
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
    Working...
    X