Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
No one I know understands that you don't double-space after a period anymore Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Alright then, thank you all for your answers
    Yesterday, 10:20 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    Right now, at work, I'm using an early 2011 MacBook Pro. It's had no problems at all. I'll likely get a new one early next year, but I'm in no hurry because I don't want to give up the 17-inch display....
    Yesterday, 09:47 PM
  • iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    Overall I haven't really ever had any problems with macs either. Basically just the grpahics card problems I've been talking about. And the 2011 MBP is notorious for them (which is what I have now)....
    Yesterday, 09:40 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    This is a puzzling discussion because the things described run counter to my experiences.

I've been buying Macs since 1984, and have probably owned, maybe, a couple dozen of them. Also during...
    Yesterday, 09:23 PM
  • MeadowlarkGraph
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    MeadowlarkGraph
    Okay, first attempt at less boring. More variation in text size and background, some different images, shadows. Tried a few different layouts but nothing was hitting me. I actually like "hospice...
    Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one I know understands that you don't double-space after a period anymore

Since the typewriter became obsolete, so has the need for double-spacing after a period (unless you're using a mono-spaced font like Courier). It's amazing that NO ONE believes me when I tell them this. It's like I've shaken the foundation of their education.

I guess it's sort of like telling someone Pluto is not a planet.
    wieNerDog

High school typing courses, ah thank god for those. (why the hell is my Enter key not working in Firefox?)

Comment

This bothers me as well. I hate two spaces after a period. I try to tell people to read "The Mac is Not A Typewriter", but nobody listens. Oh well!
      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by wienerdog
        Since the typewriter became obsolete, so has the need for double-spacing after a period (unless you're using a mono-spaced font like Courier). It's amazing that NO ONE believes me when I tell them this. It's like I've shaken the foundation of their education.

I guess it's sort of like telling someone Pluto is not a planet.
        Have them open any published book, and you'll have your proof.
        Less be more.

Comment

It's like I've shaken the foundation of their education.
          you have I've been double spacing since 6th grade (using a computer).

I can't stop.

Comment

you didn't believe us when we told you that not long ago.

Are you talking to designers or the general public here? Because designers should really know better.

Originally posted by morea
            from this link (Adapted from Robin Williams, The Mac Is Not a Typewriter (Berkeley: Peachpit Press, 1990)):

"On a typewriter, all the characters are monospaced; that is, they each take up the same amount of space – the letter i takes up as much space as the letter m. Because they are monospaced, you need to type two spaces after periods to separate one sentence from the next. But …

On a computer (unless you’re using the fonts Monaco or Courier, which are monospaced just like a typewriter and what would you want to use those for anyway) the characters are proportional; that is, they take up a proportional amount of space—the letter i takes up about one-fifth the space of the letter m. So you no longer need extra spaces to separate the sentences."
            Last edited by morea; 05-09-2007, 04:05 PM.
            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I have a hideous engram when it comes to this too. I really have to concentrate to not do it. I learnt to touch type in high school and it's really hard to rewrite those codes in your head. Even though you know it's not right your hands still churn it out.
              at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

my typing classes in high school made us use a double spaces after a period. i think people were just never told that you don't have to anymore.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Find " "
                  Replace " "

Every time.
                  In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by mac.FINN
                    Find " "
                    Replace " "

Every time.
                    Every document I do, I have to do this, otherwise, our material looks like it's been done by someone thinking they're writing with a typewriter.

There needs to be an official announcement by an authority figure, or a bulletin on the news. I'd love to see a local news story done in their common, melodramatic fashion:

"ARE YOU TYPING INCORRECTLY? HAS EVERYTHING YOU'VE BEEN TAUGHT BEEN MADE OBSOLETE? - Find out tonight at 11!"
                    wieNerDog

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                      you didn't believe us when we told you that not long ago.

Are you talking to designers or the general public here? Because designers should really know better.

LOL.

Comment

I wonder if high school classes are still using old typewriters or if they moved over to computers. Back in the late 90s, mine was still using typewriters despite having a good amount of computers around.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Shannon
                          Back in the late 90s, mine was still using typewriters despite having a good amount of computers around.
                          Same here. The short hand and typing classes were in a little shed with typewriters and the IT classes were in a nice heated room with about 15 pcs. This was mid 90's.
                          at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

Our school (a public school, you know, the drug infested havens of debauchery and immorality) had Macs for us to use all through high school '96-'00. But prior during junior high it was typewriters. Fun times.

Comment

We had a room full of Mac Classics. Which was ridiculous because they had tiny screens that you could barely read and smaller than normal keyboards.
                              And yes we were taugh the dreaded double space.
                              In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X