X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making letterhead

i have a client that wants to be able to print his letter head from his office printer...simple black and white on a laser. I am wondering when i make his letterhead the best way to do this. what format is the best to have the logo in. do i just insert it into word or wordperfect? whats the best way to make this. he doesnt want to have his letterhead printed professional...than feed it back through his printer. he jsut wants to print from office. could really use some advice on this.
    thanks
    caleb
    Its not "Mitch-ed" stupid....its Me-Show.

Your best bet is going to be to save the logo as a JPEG format, as high-resolution as you can without making the file size overly huge. Since it's black and white, you should be able to save it at 600 dpi and it will work fine.

You might want to set up a template for the client, so that the position of the logo remains static.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

most office printers don't print bleeds, either. Just something to consider when designing it.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

than just implant the jpeg into the word document? maybe set it up in a locked table or something?

Comment

Put it in the header, it's hard to click and edit those once they're in place.
          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Wouldn't it be better with a .wmf for a Word document?

Comment

morea is right. watch the margins. typically, the gripper (what pulls the paper through the printer and guides it through the fuser) requires a 1/4" margin. to be on the safe side -- and to acommodate fax machines, which notoriously suck for cutting things off and distorting images -- you might want to leave a 1/2" margin on all sides. better to be safe than sorry.
              Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I believe the correct term is giving letterhead.
                In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by fredrich
                  Wouldn't it be better with a .wmf for a Word document?
                  Yup. If you're supplying graphics to Office apps, wmf is usually best.

Sometimes you run into problems, but if you don't you tend to get a lower file size and higher quality.

Also, once you've made that word doc with the logo in it, don't forget to save it as a word template. That way they're less likely to accidentally make changes to it.

Comment

whats wmp format. not familiar with it

Comment

wmf = windows metafile - it's the internal format of office and the Windows clipboard. It's basically a vector format. If you export from illustrator, wmf is one of the options.

Comment

and normally it seems to be a smaller file size I have noticed.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

ok. what about if we use wordperfect. it cant read wmf can it? do you just suggest jpeg? it will be black and white so i guess i could use bmp or gif or something. what yall recommend?
                          caleb
                          thanks for your help!!

Comment

Well, I can't even remember the last time I saw wordperfect...

If it's wordperfect on Windows, it'll probably work just fine, though. As I said, wmf is actually the format of the Windows clipboard, so most apps support it in some sense.

Comment

How about .png? Or is that a no-no?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X