Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Juniberry
    Reply to Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    I should also mention that a theme that supports the visual composer would be excellent....
    Today, 05:54 AM
  • Juniberry
    Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    Howdy-doody fellas and bellas, I'm just after some quick advice from those of you out there with plenty of experience choosing and working with WP themes.

Attached is a template/guide to...
    Today, 05:53 AM
  • arielr190
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    the business is online. print-wise, the smallest it will ever get is a business card.
    Today, 03:53 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to UX tips
    lowfatgraphics
    Hmm This isn't UX, it is UI... Its common to get the two mixed up but having worked in UX and now UI, there is a pretty big difference.

Now from a UI stand point, there isn't much here...aside...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    lowfatgraphics
    "S" is tough to read-- looks interesting. the glossy highlights seem to have multiple light sources tho...might want to double check.
    Today, 03:43 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does age matter?

Hello i'm new here. My question is to the people in the field or proffessionals that have turned freelancers. Does age matter in the web/ graphic design field? I started studying web/ graphic design in 2004 and i have had to stay in my job because it has been hard to work on my portfolio and paying bills at the same time. I'm turning 29 this year and i feel like time is passing by too fast and i might be getting too old for such a competitive field. needless to say my motivation has hit an all time low so i'm wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing or even maybe has asked the same questions. Thanks for your time.

Wecome enoch407. Have you ever seen the movie "Logan's Run?"
    WYSIWYG

Comment

LOL Jim, We have all been in a rut at one time or another for various reason and many people on here are in jobs that are not very creative which is the reason most of us freelance on the side. I don't think age really matters unless you are very old or very young, the very old because a company is not going to get too many years out of them and the very young because of lack of experince. I know how you feel though trying to freelance with a wife, home, a full time job and three kids is not easy and usually makes for some late nights and some working weekends. I treat my freelance sort of like a part time job, which is really what it is, and God knows we can all use a little extra income.
      How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Does age matter? More importantly, does matter age? Not really, if you stick to being a proton.

Enoch, hi. When I was your age I was a part-time illustrator, part-time appliance delivery guy, part time vid game artist, and soon-to-be dad. I had taken three years of college training-- but that was about five years earlier. Then I got lucky and got my first full-time graphic job which lasted nine years. If you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Good luck-- and welcome to the forum-- and the business (soon, I hope).

Comment

Age has no bearing as long as you can turn out quality work. I worked at a gaming company about 10 years ago and at that time there was another guys working there doing 3D modeling and painting who was in his late 60s.

Just stay up with the technology, work hard, and make lots of pretty stuff and you'll be fine.
          You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

Enoch, welcome! Keep doing your thing--you gotta represent for all of us obsolete individuals pushing 30!

Comment

lol @ Ben.

Welcome to the forum, enoch. I'll be 29 for a few more months, and I feel the same way sometimes. I'm sure it's a normal feeling, don't let it get you down.

I do firmly believe that the quote in my signature line is true.
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

It certainly does matter, otherwise you could be spending quite some time in prison. Make sure you ask for ID first.

Comment

Haha. 29 is certainly not too old! Goodnes...
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Age is a mind thing. I didn't have trouble at 29 nor at 39 and probably won't at 49. I don't feel it yet. Well, at least not after the morning shower...

Comment

After aging a couple decades I've found that I've become a very skilled drinker. Too
                      much too fast is for the kids

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                        Age is a mind thing. I didn't have trouble at 29 nor at 39 and probably won't at 49. I don't feel it yet. Well, at least not after the morning shower...
                        Well, I won't know about 39 for quite some time yet, but I can tell you that the grey hairs I didn't have at 29 aren't all in my mind

Still, I got asked for ID when buying cigarettes last week, so I can't be doing too bad

Comment

Originally posted by hewligan
                          Still, I got asked for ID when buying cigarettes last week, so I can't be doing too bad
                          Congrats!
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I know I'm getting older because the younger folks are calling me sir. So, when 20 somethings starting calling you sir or mam watch out.
                            WYSIWYG

Comment

Admittedly it was a supermarket, so they had one of those "we'll ID anyone who looks under 25" policies - still, there's no way I'm gonna pass for 18 these days, but apparently, I can get mistaken for 25.

I can totally live with that

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X