Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to RIP: The Necrology Thread
    Cosmo
    The name may not mean much to a lot of you, but just found out Steve Hed - one of the pioneers in bicycle wheel design - passed away today. I ride a set of his wheels on my race bike.

ht...
    Today, 08:56 PM
  • justproud2b
    General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Hello All,

I ended up finding this website in a search for information help to my issue. I need people for a sounding board. I'm trying to rebrand myself and I am struggling with a direction...
    Today, 08:31 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    PrintDriver
    Find your nearest university with a graphic design program.
    Apply.

You need the theory, not the tutorials.
    Today, 08:30 PM
  • creare
    Reply to logo lettering new york
    creare
    I'am new york , take a character important , how to say I'm special , I'm important , and who are you ..

Today, 08:24 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Personal Logo Concepts
    creare
    oh..oh.. is a great problem , you need to look at the best logos that have been made, for example, look for works of important studies; three basic things, simplicity ', uniqueness', visible also in...
    Today, 07:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A newbie hello to all!

My name is Adam Frederick Woods ... and I am an artist. I won a college scholarship 20 years ago for my paintings when I was 17, and I never took my SAT's ... I just went on to sample all the local schools in Tucson. My parents are old time Tucson artists, and I ended up graduating from both Pima and the University of Arizona, with my BFA. I moved from Tucson to New York, and had rare Photoshop skills in 1995. Ended up getting a job at Playboy as a Designer when I was like 26. From there I went on to work for an advertising agency and became a Studio Manager for Frierson Mee (loved working for John and Heather ... Neil Kraft ... we kinda clashed). I was there when he overuled everyone for the shape of the VOSS bottle. Everyone else was concerned that it wouldn't pour well. It's really WAY overpriced. That was the business plan. Sell water to idiots in a cool looking bottle.

Went into art direction for a big publisher (RBI) after that, and eventually grad school at NYU ... it's an MS. "Digital Imaging and Design".

Now I teach ... and I love it. My students do nice work too.

So .... hello.
    Last edited by AFWoods; 05-11-2007, 06:56 AM.

howdo

feel free to showcase any pb work...
    The beginning is always today.

Comment

welcome to GDF, Adam!
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Welcome aboard, AFWoods! Sounds like you'll have a lot to share with us!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

Welcome, Newb.
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Oh hello. Working for Playboy must have been fun.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Boobies!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                  Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                    Oh hello. Working for Playboy must have been fun.
                    At times .... sure. Big problem was my idiot boss. Her mistakes somehow became my fault, if you catch my drift.

First time it happened, went on a press check for her and some source code was wrong ... I was looking at color, prolly would not have made the call to restrike plates, had I caught it ... but I wasn't expecting a typo problem. Wasn't aware of it. Fact of the matter was my boss wasn't either ... never warned me about it, set me up ... blamed me.

Wasn't a great job ... trust me. I beat out 3,000 other people to get the job, and I was only there like 3 months. 25 years old.

Not my fault. All I have to say ... is it was not my fault.

Live and learn, I guess.
                    But I was an easy scapegoat. Actually apologized to my boss, after that press check ... "Sorry I missed it." thought that was the right thing to do.

Big mistake. Never stand for that ... I shoulda blamed her, it was her fault. She put in ... the wrong source code, after all. Sent me on her press check, without warning.
                    Last edited by AFWoods; 05-13-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Never met Hef ... but I did meet Christy and she is absolutely a professional. No doubt about it. Hef .... he's too old school, IMO.

Can't say the same for my direct boss back then ... she was old school, but just an idiot. She had been there for years, and I was just a wide eyed kid from Arizona ... I never saw it coming. I also, FWIW, never blamed my mistakes on anyone else. Never really had to ... I don't make mistakes. But I wouldn't do that.

Comment

I guess the thing that really makes me realize how good I was .... we saved Maidenform, at Frierson Mee and Kraft ... we friggin saved them from bankruptcy, we branded Aldo and VOSS.

There was a time, I was pretty much running the coolest "boutique" ad agency in New York. Same building as Deutsch. Flatiron area.

Nothing lasts forever though. At some point you discover, that you are slurping up people's souls ... and not really being an artist. That's advertising though.

I went into publishing after that. Pay is crap. Went into education ... pay is crappier ... but I can vent.

Last year, with a Master's degree, I made less than half of what I made in 2000, without it. But I like my job, for once. There's a lot to be said for liking your job, trust me.
                        Last edited by AFWoods; 05-13-2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X