Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• crdunsto
    Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    I'm applying to several colleges over the break (SVA, MICA, Memphis, MCAD, SCAD, FIT, Parsons), and need advice on how to reference my freelance work from late 2012 up to now.

Name of Organization...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to Law Firm Website Redesign
    FredBouffard
    Your website will always reflect the kind of business you offer so it is just in time that you update your client's website. I like the large header, but the text on the upper portion of it looks dated....
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    FredBouffard
    Looks like a bull right but it needs a little bit of polishing and enhancements. Bulls have basically long, curved very pointed horns so you can work on that. And maybe fiercer eyes....
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • HotButton
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    HotButton
    "but I have always been led to believe that the degree isn't as important as talent/know-how in graphic design..."

Here, without a degree, it's not likely anyone will ever know...
    Yesterday, 08:51 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    misplacedVTer
    We don't even consider applications that don't list a degree where I work, though even people with degrees can have terrible portfolios. Out of probably 30 applicants from our most recent opening, maybe...
    Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Rates for Logo Design

Hello,
    I am designing a logo for a new bakery that is opening up in a city of about 100,000 people. Their target market is upper-middle to high class people. I am wondering what I should charge for a logo design for them being I have no idea what the going rate is on it. I can do hourly or overall, that doesn't matter. Thank you, any advise will be much appreciated.

Discussing pricing online is illegal.

You should figure out how much you need to charge hourly to make it worth your while and to get your bills paid. Then times this by the hours you think this job will take you. Then you have your logo design price.

Rate vary on your experience, your local and often, your client.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" ľ Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Sorry, That is good to know, I had no idea it was illegal.

Too bad I can not edit the post above now.
      Last edited by gokujou; 05-14-2007, 12:40 AM.

Comment

A logo isn't necessarily an hourly thing. Usually it is determined up front what exactly is being designed and provided and then you are relinquishing all copyright to it. Costs a little more when you do that.

Are you doing a logo in color or black and white?
        Are you creating multiple formats (ie horizontal and vertical treatments)?
        Are you creating a web 2.0 version?
        Are you creating a Standards sheet to go with the logo that explains all usage/placement/color variants?
        Are you providing a CD with various file formats from vector to raster?
        Et cetera.

Comment

It will be color, but I am designing where it can be one color and not lose the identity. It is going to be one format where they can use it as a whole or break off the text. It will not be web 2.0 styled though the site I make later will technically be web 2.0-esque, how I am coding it.

I might make a standards sheet, depends on if the clients wants it, I will offer and explain the benefits. And lastly I will be providing multiple formats and sizes (in the rasters).

And I will be giving them full rights to it. Should be rather fun.

Comment

Here's a good thread from another forum that discussed this issue awhile back. Let's say it addresses some issues you may not have considered, like the sale of usage rights.

Creative Latitude has a plethora of great business resources for you to look through. They also have an hourly rate calculator to help you sort out a pricing standard based on your region that'll be more to your liking.

You can also do a search or pose your question at BoDo: The Business of Design Online and AIGA.

|
            Archetype Design Studio - Creatively Disciplined, Design Driven | Portfolio Peepshow - Taking a featured projects peek | ARCHE-BLogGER - A virtual exploration inside the Creative Mind | no!spec - Eradicating speculative work one designer at a time | Combating the Stigma of the Overpriced Designer - A Creative's first intrepid adventure in design journalism |

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
              Discussing pricing online is illegal.
              Hm, neither did I. I only thought it applied to bids for personal transactions, not discussions of transactions. Then again, I was never really up on that little legal bit, m'self. I guess I should be all things considered. I've uh...been in a few threads where we...you know.

|
              Archetype Design Studio - Creatively Disciplined, Design Driven | Portfolio Peepshow - Taking a featured projects peek | ARCHE-BLogGER - A virtual exploration inside the Creative Mind | no!spec - Eradicating speculative work one designer at a time | Combating the Stigma of the Overpriced Designer - A Creative's first intrepid adventure in design journalism |

Comment

Why we can't discuss pricing.

Comment

<sigh> I put a lot of time into the New User FAQ. I wish people would actually read it.
                  "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                    <sigh> I put a lot of time into the New User FAQ. I wish people would actually read it.
                    I did I think, a while ago when I joined. But I forgot some of the details.
                    I reread it yesterday.

Comment

hey! another wisconsinite! welcome
                      www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapony
                        Here's a good thread from another forum that discussed this issue awhile back. Let's say it addresses some issues you may not have considered, like the sale of usage rights.

Creative Latitude has a plethora of great business resources for you to look through. They also have an hourly rate calculator to help you sort out a pricing standard based on your region that'll be more to your liking.

You can also do a search or pose your question at BoDo: The Business of Design Online and AIGA.

Those links where great. Thank you. I feel I have a much better grasp now.

@Jackimalyn
                        Thank you, Friend had shown me this forum in January or so, I keep checking back every so often.

Comment

It's not technically illegal, but it isn't too different from the idea of a business cartel (which is illegal) if the cfo from mcdonalds were to call the cfo from burger king and ask how much he thought was fair to charge for a burger it could be considered price fixing. In other words the companies are working in cahoots so they both benefit by charging similar prices so they restrict customer choice.
                          "If it sells, its art."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X