X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapping vine

In my graphics design class in school, i'm doing a movie poster project, and i have a rose, wedged onto a sword. I was thinking about wrapping the stem of the rose down the sword, to the handle. I would probably need to create my own texture for this, because i think cloning a stem wouldn't be worth it, for quality reasons. Does anyone have ideas, or know of any tutorials?
    -Matt

What app are you using?
    "If it sells, its art."

Comment

I am using both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS2.
      -Matt

Comment

are you looking to use a photo or an illustration? sounds like you're thinking about using a photo. have you thought about sketching out what you want to do, and maybe tracing it or redrawing it in illustrator?
        Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Is the sword a drawing or a photo?
          "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
          -Steve Jobs

Comment

Well, the sword is a photo, and, since i can't really find any good pictures of stems from anywhere, i was thinking of just creating one through either program. I just need to find the right texture that will look like it it goes with the rose. If you want, i could post what the poster looks like so far, so you can see what i'm trying to do.
            -Matt

Comment

how confident are you on your sketching freehand ? - you could take a photo or copy one online , clean it up in photoshop (save both versions - original and cleaned up) open in illustrator and convert to live trace - you could take this back into photoshop and fool about with textures (has photoshop got a trace/vector function? I'm not sure about that.

Always good to try a variety of ways - test stuff out - you may find out a few extra features that you hadn't intended which could useful in other ways too

Comment

Honestly, i'm not too great at free handing stuff. I can use the pen tool in both programs very well, mostly because i don't have such a steady hand. The one thing that i really need for this project would be a template for me to actually follow, like making the texture in Illustrator, bring it into Photoshop, then perhaps using the transform/warp tool to bring it around the sword, then perhaps burn it in a few spots for lighting effects. It's just that i have a very small time frame to do this, because our school has an art show this Friday, and he would like mine done for it, which is 2 weeks ahead of the actual due date. So i'm pretty much scrambling for ideas.
                -Matt

Comment

maybe best bet is to buy a rose and take a photo yourself go from there in photoshop (I googled "stem of a rose" and there are images that could be used though I'm not sure the exact finish you want). how about using a real sword?? can you get to a shop? club? if in doubt go lateral .

Comment

I actually found a really good picture of a sword online, as well as a rose. I just had an idea to use one of the flower stems from my mom's Mother's day bouquet i got for her, so that might work. Well, i thank you all for your help!
                    -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mknabster
                      I actually found a really good picture of a sword online, as well as a rose.
                      Were they from a free stock photo site or something?

Even for student work, don't get in the habit of just snatching images off google image search - the fact that something is online doesn't make it public domain.
                      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Yea, they were straight off of google. That's really the only option i have right now, especially since the stock photo site we're allowed to use we have to pay for. But as time progresses, i do plan on taking the majority of the pictures myself, but for now, this will have to do.
                        -Matt

Comment

not a good idea... there are free stock photo sites out there - there are links to several in our resources section here on the forum (or check out the frequently discussed topics thread).

I can't believe that your teachers would encourage you to use someone else's copyrighted images when you could use free stock photos or public domain images instead... that is a bad habit to get into, because in the "real" world it can get you sued.

There have been several threads on here recently about stealing images from google image search. These are the two that spring to mind:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=27042

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=26183
                          Last edited by morea; 05-16-2007, 10:32 PM.

Comment

here's the one I was thinking of:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=22531

Comment

Originally posted by mknabster
                              I actually found a really good picture of a sword online, as well as a rose. I just had an idea to use one of the flower stems from my mom's Mother's day bouquet i got for her, so that might work. Well, i thank you all for your help!
                              You really shouldn't use a photo obtained online. A class project is pretty safe as far copyright usage (some disagree, but it does say you can use copyrighted material for educational purposes), but this ties your hands if you end up making a great project. Not to forget the picture will more than likely be low res, and that can cause other huge problems. Believe me, it's not hard to get your hands on a sword, I have a few and you'd be surprised who else might have a few lying around. Take your own photography.
                              My Site

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X