Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do logos influence you??

Okay...maybe it's just me and the fact that I'm a graphic designer, but logos can seriously sell me on a product. I'm just curious if any of you other designers get overly excited or influenced about a product based on it's logo alone.

Many products I hear about and buy are based on word-of-mouth. But, I'd have to say that 90% of the time, when I go to buy something, I look at the logo and take it into heavy consideration if I'm purchasing something for the first time that I know nothing about.

For example, when I bought my swirl removers (for detailing my car), I really liked the simplicity of the Poorboys logo (not to mention the simplicity of their website and product line) so that influenced me to buy as well as many peoples recommendations. I looked at the Pinnacle and Wolfgang products, but the logos, while nice looking, both looked way too 'busy' to me and made me feel like they were trying to overcompensate for their products with over-the-top, flashy packaging/logos.

Now obviously, if I were to use their products I may find that they are really great...so I'm by no means 'knocking' those two companies, or their products...I'm just saying that to me, logos play a big part in my purchasing decisions and theirs don't appeal to me.

There are so many products that I have bought over the years simply based on cool logos and packaging...Meguair's products over Armor All, Coke over Pepsi, Rockford Fosgate over Sony, Levis over Wranglers, Oakley over Ray-Ban...I could go on forever.

So, are any of you other 'graphic designers' highly influenced by a logo when buying a product you've never used or had any exerience with? Or am I just an odd person?
    tmooregraphics
    Horsepower For Your Business!
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

I critique logos to myself while looking at them on the shelf. As far as buying or not buying a product based on the logo, no. I'm more of a cost efficient freak. If a product works well and will cost me less than a product of the same quality, I will go the cheaper route. I guess in a situation where the products were both equal in cost and quality, then yes I would probably judge them by design.
    Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Well, I had high hopes for a brand of Coffee I was given to be a taste tester since there packaging and logo and everything Identity-wise was terrific...the problem was both sample packets of coffee was Horrible! I wont mention a brand name here in case others like it, but I tried many different methods of brewing and all were unsuccessful. I wish the coffee tasted good. oh well.
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRGTIVR6
        Well, I had high hopes for a brand of Coffee I was given to be a taste tester since there packaging and logo and everything Identity-wise was terrific...the problem was both sample packets of coffee was Horrible! I wont mention a brand name here in case others like it, but I tried many different methods of brewing and all were unsuccessful. I wish the coffee tasted good. oh well.
        Awesome coffee with similarly awesome marketing material.

Comment

Only book covers.

Comment

I buy wine based on 1: price and 2: the beautifulness of their label. Logos definately have a part to play, but beautiful packaging really gets me.

Books of course. If I don't judge a book by it's cover when I'm at the library, then should I just get out books by random instead? I'm a visual person.

Price first and then out of the finalists, I pick by design.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I will admit to buying products, especially glass bottled products, based on prettiness.

But not detergent or anything like that. Regular groceries and such get bought based on quality and price. The logos and packaging do help to pick the right ones out of the sea of products tho.
              Think of me as programmable soda.
              Tori Amos

Comment

my girlfriend won't go grocery shopping with me because i can never make it down an aisle without picking up 2 or 3 products to analyze their packaging...

hello, my name is Silence04 and i'm a package design whore...
                www.standercreative.com

Comment

yes logo design does affect me.
                  chinese restaurants around here for example... (with only one exception) bad logo=bad food.
                  similarly, takeaways... bad menu design=bad food
                  i have bought products over others purely because of the logo... my girlfriend looks at price first.
                  The beginning is always today.

Comment

My parents own a Chinese take out. Just like to add that the menu I designed for them and logo are awesome. I redesigned the menu a few months ago and the week the new menus were printed, my dad showed me the menu of a new take out that had just opened around the corner from them - total design rip off of our menu! Lucky I had redesigned our menu to a more classy, sexy menu
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

post it! POST IT!
                      i might order some.. i'm really hungry...
                      would they deliver to Yorkshire?
                      The beginning is always today.

Comment

Of course logos will ionfluence people in the business but they also influence the genral public even if they don't realize it. This is why big corporations spend so much money on package design and brand recognition. They know from years of doing this sort of thing that your packaging and logo could be what makes or breaks the success of the product or service. I tend to look at the junk mail I get and compare what works and what does not. Just the other day I got a flyer in the mail for a dentla place not far from my house and it was the most horrible thing I had ever seen, drop shadows a bad desing galore. Incidently I am going to be sending them a little something advertising my services, I could have desinged something better in my sleep and I don't even consider that sort of desing a strong point of mine. Then again maybe they got what they paid for.
                        How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Originally posted by Logo-Mechanix
                          Then again maybe they got what they paid for.
                          More than likely.
                          Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Originally posted by captain spanky
                            post it! POST IT!
                            i might order some.. i'm really hungry...
                            would they deliver to Yorkshire?
                            Here's the logo:

Would you eat here? You better say yes!!!

Here's the menu for those that are hungry.
                            outer & inside
                            It folds in half so it's slightly bigger than a CD booklet. Quite different to your average A4 folded to A5 takeout menu. Sorry, Captain, I don't think it would be very nice by the time it got to Yorkshire.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X