Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PanToshi
    Are you seriously considering passing off a stolen logo graphic as "your design" to a forum of professional designers? Freakin' hilarious.

Copying someone else work is not what...
    Today, 03:45 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello all!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Edz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:34 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Colors for a map...
    KitchWitch
    Hi Gorgon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 03:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    KitchWitch
    In addition to whats been said above, your company name and logo should not be created in the same process. People who do this tend to be too willing to change their company name to suit a cool logo design....
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Laceycowgurl
    Reply to Print image quality
    Laceycowgurl
    Thanks guys! I had a very stern convo with the boss yesterday. Hopefully it will keep him a bay until the next project. He's just as cheap as he can get and refuses to pay for photography. He's lucky...
    Today, 03:19 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my Quark file size RIDICULOUSLY large?

There's probably a setting somewhere that I know nothing about, right?

I am working on a single page poster with three 2-3ish MB photos in it, and other than that only colored boxes and text.

So why on EARTH is the file size 51.1 MB??????????? And it's locking up my computer and taking me forever to make any kind of changes to it!

Help me please!

My guess? Those pics are compressed, but they've been embedded.... or resized somehow to create giant previews. Have you tried shutting down the preview-- regenerating them? (I can't even remember how to do that anymore in Quirk!)

Comment

51mb for a poster, depending on size, is not large at all. Have you tried doing a "save as"?

Does Quark often lock up your computer? or is it just this one file.

Broacher has a point about the embedding or previews. (and I think it's a keystroke on File Open but can't remember either!) It's just very hard to do without changing something first though. All the defaults tend toward too small when it comes to image previews. LOL!

Comment

yeah i shouldn't have said poster, i meant flier...like 8.5 x 11 inches.

Comment

Check sizes & Restart

You might try to click on each element of the flyer and "Get Info" to add up all file sizes one at a time and see if everything jives. As far as your comp. locking up, quit everything and restart Quark only so it has all available memory to run this file.

Comment

okay i think i figured it out. i was using .jpgs straight from my digital camera. they were showing up in windows explorer as 1.5-3 mbs. but on a whim i opened one in photoshop and checked the canvas size. it was showing up as 17 mb! why did this happen? i have no idea - but once i resized by half, switched to cmyk and resaved, all was back to normal. quark file size down to 1.5 mb. WEIRD! has this ever happened to anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by printboy63
              You might try to click on each element of the flyer and "Get Info" to add up all file sizes one at a time and see if everything jives.
              that's the other part that doesn't quite make sense. when i checked this in the original doc with the "huge" pictures, they still showed as the 1.5-3mb file sizes. weird!

Comment

I think your windows explorer is in denial and won't admid it's carrying so much baggage. Refer to a Psychologist.

Comment

Tell us how you are placing those graphics. Are you creating a picture box and then "get picture" or are you copying and pasting somehow?
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                    Tell us how you are placing those graphics. Are you creating a picture box and then "get picture" or are you copying and pasting somehow?
                    yes, i'm doing the box and "get picture" method.

Comment

can I ask why you are using quark for a single page?
                      My Site

Comment

Because she is laying out a page. What would you set it up in?
                        Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                        http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

depending on type. but if there was type most likely in illustrator.
                          I was just asking, I know people use quark and indesign for single page layouts, but my friend and I have had discussions on this and I am finding myself listening to him. Even tho at times I do use InDesign for single pages, we realize that they are more suitable for multipage layouts.

I guess I was just curious if there are problems you should use a single page layout program (Photoshop/illy), but that's my opinion. I wasn't trying to step on toes.
                          My Site

Comment

I was just wondering - I just find it easier to set up and control type, photos, bleeds, etc in a page layout program.
                            Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                            http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

A Quark file will show it's size based on the last time it was Saved. If you didn't do a Save AFTER you put in the pix, then it's file size is much greater than the program says. This may be why it was showing a smaller file size than it really was.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X