Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format Ideas for Media Kit....

I am at a deadend here. I need to come up with a media kit that isn't going to cost me a fortune. It's for an upcoming magazine and would like it to look similar to the end result.

I will have simple black and white pages on the inside, one page that may or may not be removable (contract) and just some other basic information.

I have thought of 11x17 and folded, saddle stitched. I have also thought about a presentation folder with all the other pages put inside. Both aren't real cheap. Is there another more affordable idea anyone can help me with? Maybe even a digital presentation? PDF, Powerpoint etc that I can send the advertisers? This is a thought but I really think the potential advertiser would rather have something in hand, physically they can see.

Any help is appreciated.
    "A man with no imagination has no wings." - ALI

How many do you have to do?

Some things to consider are interesting recycled stocks and printing processes that won't cost the world. If you can do it all 1 colour with high contrast you may be able to do all paper plates that will keep costs down.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

You might consider binders/folders from your local office products store, or better than that, a specialty paper store if you have one close by.

Some of those office product store have some affordable stuff thats pretty cool. Translucent cover folders/binders and that sort of thing. You can pick up some labels and print your logo on them to apply to the folders.

Anyway, you get the idea.
      A little smilie goes a long way.

Comment

You might also want to do a PDF, I get most specs for magazines we run ads in that way. I'm not sure what our media buyer prefers, however, she probably prefers hard copy.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

What is the magazine about? I've seen some clever press kits for a variety of media that was tied into the theme of the publication. For example, a group that writes about recyclable materials sent out a press kit made from brown paper bag.

Press kits are disposible, so I wouldn't spend too much. Is there a way you can take an element from your content and apply it into the application of your press kit? Obviously if your magazine is about diamonds, I don't expect you to give out "freebies" but you can take visual cues from the diamonds and put them into the piece.

I also highly suggest you trim down the amount of paper involved. When I used to sift through press kits, I wouldn only read the main page, and skim the more detailed pages. Reporters might only write a 300 blurb about your company at best. Anyone that wants to do a feature article on your magazine will usually conduct an interview. Don't feel like you have to include everything under the sun in this kit.
          Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I thought a media kit and a press kit were two different things, SurfPark.

Comment

Yes, my mistake. That's what happens when you don't read closely and start freely associating. I found this article from Microsoft on the issue...

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine...media_kit.mspx
              Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Innocent enough mistake.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X