Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    lowfatgraphics
    "S" is tough to read-- looks interesting. the glossy highlights seem to have multiple light sources tho...might want to double check.
    Today, 03:43 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    lowfatgraphics
    Tough to comment because I'm not aware of its usage...signage or a cup coaster-- how small will it ever be, because at one point the thin tag line with not be readable. So you would have to create a system....
    Today, 03:39 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Font
    lowfatgraphics
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to invest in a font management software. I've used Suitcase Fusion ($119) before but I've been hearing good things about Font Explorer X Pro ($89).

Today, 03:18 AM
  • arielr190
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    Changed the fonts, removed the texture, reduced the amount of colors & brightened the orange. better?...
    Today, 02:21 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Creating an Image for a car sticker
    PrintDriver
    Your client needs to get you the dimensions of the door. Without that, one can only guess.
    In Illustrator use whatever units you want. I use inches. Too much math otherwise.
    Today, 02:00 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about word counts ...

Hi there - new to the forum. I have been a graphic designer for 5 years in one place (higher education). My director came to me today stating that they now need me and the other designer to provide them with word counts for magazine and newsletter stories. I think this sounds a little weird ... any thoughts from the outside???

Doesn't sound odd at all. There could be a few reasons why one would ask for a word count. One translator we work with asks for word counts because she bills her client per word. Perhaps your director needs to know exactly how much content is in the magazines and newsletters, regardless of how many pages the layout takes.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Sorry - I wasn't specific enough. They want us to provide them with how many words they can use for a story so they know what to write.

Comment

Once again, that doesn't sound odd at all. It's a pretty common practice so that they provide you copy that fits the length you need.

Otherwise your magazine or newsletter will run longer than intended or you'll pay to print the extra pages.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Okay. It's not unlike our director to come to us with unusual requests. I would have thought after 5 years this would have come up sooner. So, do you think it would be a good idea to reverse our current process of they write first and I design second? Our director also wants us to read the copy provided by the writers so we can get image ideas, so I'm just really confused and wondered what everyone else does. Thanks to everyone!!!!

Comment

^^ Or you'll waste time and energy trying to get the copy to fit in the allotted space.

Try filling the space with jabber and doing a word count. Obviously won't be exact, but should be close enough.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Workplaces constantly change the way they do things to try to increase the efficiency of the workflow. Sometimes it's effective, sometimes it's a waste. Nothing new there.

blog/portfolio

Comment

It's great they are asking you. Better they try and type the copy to fit in your layout than for you to try and fit twice as much text than can possibly fit!
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

yup, just design using Lorem Ipsum at a certain cutoff, say 700 words or so for an article. then once they get you the right text, just replace it.
                  ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X