Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to A logo needs help
    Buda
    It looks like a logo for a dating website. I think you need a different concept.
    Today, 12:21 AM
  • Buda
    Comment on A New design agency with the mindset of 10-15 years ago…
    Buda
    I learn to pick my battles. Some clients will resist, others will listen and take on advice. But it can be tricky when your client is management.
    Today, 12:15 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Just rebranded my design company
    Buda
    Nice logo. I like how it's kinda looks spartan which in my opinion a very strong symbol.

The only things I would change is that in the BC and LH the logo looks very big compared to the s...
    Today, 12:13 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hi everyone !
    Buda
    Hi LumLum1013 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
    Today, 12:12 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    Buda
    Research is an important part of any new business. Never start a business without researching the existing market.

Do at least a few hours of research of your competition's branding. Get...
    Today, 12:12 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Project (Everyone please read)

Hi, i've been assigned a project in my economics class that involves interviewing a professional graphics designer. I've emailed probably 15 people/companies and have been getting back replies that they are too busy or just don't answer questions like these. If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated.

What initially interested you in the occupation?
    What type of education/training did you need?
    Any specific responsibilities of the occupation?
    Any disadvantages of the occupation?
    Do any government laws/regulations positively and/or negatively effect your career or business?
    Any advice that you would give concerning your career?
    How do you deal with "writer's block" (or in this case coming up with new/different ideas?)
    Do you have many time constraints or do you take however much time is needed to complete a task?
    How do you put yourself ahead of the competition?
    Would you rather collaborate with others or work alone?
    Does your job seem repetitive or is there always something new to learn/do?
    Would you rather create ideas straight from the computer/with programs or start off "free handed?"
    What is your ideal work environment? Can you work from home? Is your current work environment very busy/hectic, etc?

If anyone can answer them or point me in the direction to get them answered i'll also need a name and phone number (teacher's request) because he does not want people just making up answers and getting away without actually interviewing anyone. Thanks.

check this thread out... and be sure to read all the links included in it.
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=27041

That should answer just about all of your questions.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Do you have many time constraints or do you take however much time is needed to complete a task?
      Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha ad infinitum. Usual deadline is yesterday.

Comment

What initially interested you in the occupation?
        Been artistic since I was little, graphic design seemed a logical way to make a decent and steady living out of my talents.

What type of education/training did you need?
        There's no specific degree you need to enter the field, though a bachelor's degree is usually a good thing. Nothing beats on-the-job experience, especially when it comes to properly preparing your files for press. I myself got a bachelor's in an unrelated field and went back for an associate's in GD later on.

Any specific responsibilities of the occupation?
        Aside from 'making pretty things that communicate a specific message,' you are responsible for meeting deadlines, coming up with creative ideas that meet your clients' budgets, ensuring your files will work when they get to the printer...

Any disadvantages of the occupation?
        Just like with any profession, you have to deal with people who don't have a realistic clue about what it is that you do, how you do it and why they should pay you so much to do it.

Do any government laws/regulations positively and/or negatively effect your career or business?
        Umm, not really.

Any advice that you would give concerning your career?
        Learn everything that you can about the tools you'll be using and figure out what gets your creative juices flowing. You'll need them.

How do you deal with "writer's block" (or in this case coming up with new/different ideas?)
        I start looking around at other examples of graphic design or fine art (in magazines, online), or do more research about the company/product I'm designing for. Sometimes I also put it away for a while and come back to it with a refreshed mind and new perspective.

Most often there is a deadline, and it's soon. I do have a few a few clients who (gasp!) plan ahead and give me the material I need well in advance and I can brainstorm and take my time...

How do you put yourself ahead of the competition?
        I personally don't try to outdo other designers. I'm more of a team player than I am competitive. I try to concentrate on giving the client the best piece I can give them.

Would you rather collaborate with others or work alone?
        Depends on the project, but I think I work well in either situation.

Does your job seem repetitive or is there always something new to learn/do?
        Both. I've done more business cards and invoices and postcards than I care to mention. But there's always something different and interesting just around the corner.

Would you rather create ideas straight from the computer/with programs or start off "free handed?"
        Everyone is different, I personally tend to go for the computer first, but that's not to say I never hash out a design on paper to at least get a general layout.

What is your ideal work environment? Can you work from home? Is your current work environment very busy/hectic, etc?
        I haven't worked in enough situations to really know what I prefer. My studio prefers I work at the office. I could work at home if I had to, but work has Macs, I have a PC. All the same software, but all different fonts that don't necessarily like to work on the other platform. It really is feast or famine at my office. There are days when I have nothing better to do than hang out in this forum and surf the internet, there are also stretches that last for weeks where I don't leave work until at least 8:00.
        Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 05-17-2007, 01:49 AM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X