Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sketch28
    What is this type of design called?
    sketch28
    I really like this type of design and would like to try my hand at some of my own, but I would like to see more examples of it. Could anyone tell me what it's called?

Sorry...
    Today, 05:32 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to ask for more money??

I graduated College and got my first design gig last August. I got my initial pay which wasnt a whole lot in my books, a little less than 30k. But i wanted to get my foot in the door somewhere to gain that all mighty "work experience". Now i like where i work for the most part but i need more money, i got student debt and other things to take care of.

I specialized in print, im efficent at photoshop, illustrator, quark, indesign. and i know basic dreamweaver stuff.

I would like to learn dreamweaver better and add flash to my package. (which would give me a big boost when looking for more money)

So my yearly will be up in August, and I feel i should ask if nothing happens by that time... i was actually expecting an evaluation after 6 months but haven't had that, my boss has hinted at a raise two months ago but nothing has happened..

so what do you guys and glas suggest?

The worst thing I think at a job is feeling underappreciated. (although I think most people feel that way) Do some research and find out what you deserve. If you don't want to wait til Aug, dont. Speak t oyour boss and express your concerns and wishes (and make sure you have that research to back you up as well as your accomplishments at your job, ways youve saved the company money, etc. and goals for the future) Most bosses will understand and also praise you for your courage to bring it up. Welcome constructive criticism, too. If he says he cant do anything fo you, ask if theres anything you can improve on until your yearly review. Then just make sure you work on it and youll look that much more impressive in Aug.
    www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

What kind of position are you in and what state do you live in? These two things are big factors in how much you will make. Regardless of this I have found that companies that do not give at least yearly raises are ones you don't want to stay at very long.
      How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

i was just starting to think about this too. i've been at my place of employment for a year at the beginning of june. it's my first real job after school and i am doing ok money wise but i could def use a raise. before i started here they outsourced everything and now i am the everything guy. i do the website, photography, and even come up with patterns for fabrics. when asking for a raise do you take into consideration the cost of living increase too? i drive about 50 miles a day round trip so gas prices are def cutting into the budget. not trying to hijack the thread i'm just in the same boat =]

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I drive about the same Typically although this is not my first job (I'm old) but you should get at ;east a yearly raise for cost of living and all. When I cam to the company I am at now they outsourced all their GD,logo redraws and some of their engraving which I do all of now, of course I have been her about nine years but I get a raise every year without fail plus two bonuses one in summer and one at Christmas both of which are a months pay. If your company is not giving you at least a yearly raise something is wrong with them. If they say they can't afford (I have been given this excuse at other places) they are either lying or sinking.

Comment

im in northern indiana, about an hour and a half out of chicago...cost of living around here is really low.

Comment

oh im at a very small agency that just started up when i took the job, we have the creative director, the art director, then me. and a receptionist/media buyer

Comment

I would say what you are making is probobly pretty good for the area and being right out of school but you should still get a yearly raise and from my experience the first raise you get at a company is usually a substantial one to kind of let you know that you passed that one year trial and they really want you to stay on. I don't put too much into it being a small company, either they are making money or they are not. There are only eight people in the company I work at and if you are valuable they pay you well, incidently I am the only artist.

Comment

i'm in the NYC area and i'm making a very little bit more than 30k now. i started out at 28k and they gave me a raise after 6 months. should i be expecting a bigger raise this time? i know i started out low but i was desperate for work. my cost of living is rather high too so that 30 isn't as much as it sounds.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

Comment

I am in northern NJ Typically and I would say 28k is way low for this area and 30k is as well. The fact that you got a raise after six months is encouraging but you should be making more for the varied work you are doing for them. If they don't ante up at the one year I would consider looking elsewhere, for those skills and now with experience you should be making considerably more than 30k in this area. I know for myself I would have trouble making ends meet in my old apartment (pre marriage) on 30 even if all I ate was baloney sandwiches and that place was one step above living under the bridge.

Comment

yea i knew i was low-balling myself but i needed to get in somewhere. i was planning on revamping my portfolio (its badly needed) and start looking around anyway because i am getting a little bored here. but if they throw enough money at me i'd have no problem staying here everyone is super nice. i'm lucky that my rent isn't very high so it's not killing me but more cash would make things a lot easier. thanks for the advice

Comment

Sure, anytime. Once you have actual working experience you would be surprised at the doors that open up, especially in this area and especially if you are willing to travel into NYC.

Comment

ok well i guess when that year comes around ill plead my case, but thats the maximum im going to wait...

Comment

I really hate places where you have to ask for a raise, this should never be the case it should be given because you deserve it not because you begged and pleaded for it. Good luck Riya and Typically and if you have to don't ask, tell them you are worth more.

Comment

OK, I've got a bad cold right now which has put me in a pretty owly mood, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I was lucky enough to have my parents pay for my tuition at an in-state university. But I did pay for room and board and everything else through part time jobs at a lumber yard, concrete studio, and maintenance at a plastics factory. After getting the first degree, I wound up taking a job doing maintenance at a mall - I worked there full time for a couple of years while I got my second degree - this time gearing up for graphic design. I paid for the second degree myself, although I was living back at home with my parents. I stayed with my parents pretty much from the time I was 22 until 28 so I could finish my first degree, get my second, and then spend a couple of years saving enough money at my first GD job (which pays about the same as you're making) to have enough for a down payment for a house, which I bought myself.

So when I hear complaints like yours, "I have debts to pay", and "I can't afford a house at my salary" - which I've just heard from one of our interns who is graduating this spring and is getting married and looking to buy a house - I say to you: welcome to the real world.

Don't get me wrong, the intern at my workplace is a great person, smart, talented and worth far more than she gets paid, as I'm sure you are Ryan, and myself and my co-workers included. But if your having a hard time paying the bills, maybe you're spending too much. You need to set a budget and a plan for paying back your student loans over 5 or 10 years, and there may be a lot of beans and weenies for supper during that time. If you're not making enough to pay back your loans and keep up with a mortgage payment, take a second or third job. Unfortunately we live in a time where a college degree doesn't guarantee you anything beyond a piece of paper to hang on the wall, but unquestionably without it you're screwed (unless you work for the government). We should be thankful we don't have to wait in line for bread.

Rabble rabble rabble. Gol durned whipper snappers.
                              . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X