Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Judy Smith
    Comment on Political graphic artists?
    Judy Smith
    Well, now that I've finally posted the classified, I guess I can assume that once again it wasn't visible due to moderation... So - now I have to figure out how to subscribe to it to become eNotified...
    Today, 08:25 AM
  • Judy Smith
    Comment on Political graphic artists?
    Judy Smith
    Uh, I realize this is very belated, but I vaguely remember having tried to find this forum (knowing I left loose ends) - but failing to locate it. At this time I finally found it, after having first tried...
    Today, 07:13 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Justo to clarify, I didn't change the colors of the actual logos, per say, as in the 'F' of the facebook logo was never yellow. The logos were all black, which is fine, and the backgrounds to them were...
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    It still leaves me in uncertainty. What I had before, in the creation of this thread, seemed to me to be respectable to their branding. I can understand not having the Facebook logo turned into a gun...
    Today, 06:33 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Confidence, Growth, and a Mentor
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Great.
    Thanks for the bits of info, guys. Helps.
    Today, 06:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate New To Mac Need Some Advice

Hello I'm new to the this site and needed some advice on Macs and creative software. I just graduated with a degree in Advertising and since day one have been a PC person until this last year when my creative labs were Mac only and know I'm hooked. I'm purchasing a Mac for graduation and have some what of a smaller budget but didn't know if the Macbooks were better or the IMacs were better for creative work and also I need to spice up my portfolio so I'm going to purchase the Creative Suite 3 software and wanted to know if the standard edition would be beneficial to my work or if there was another program that are already on Macs that i wouldn't need to purchase CS3. Thank you soo much

Current Macbooks and iMacs are pretty similiar on chips and speed, but I'd wait to buy personally...both lines are way overdue for a refresh any day now. Only reason I'd go with the iMac over the Macbook is for screen real estate (unless you plan on hooking the laptop up to an external monitor at home).

If you're just working with print design, standard should be just fine. Premium is recommended if you also work with web, Flash particularly (you can use other code-editor alternatives to Dreamweaver). As far as alternatives, you could buy Quark instead, but personally I'd pay the extra $500 bucks for the CS suite as you get four applications with that (versus one for Quark).

If you can scout down a cheap legacy copy of Photoshop on eBay (careful, many pirate auctions on there), that reduces the price to upgrade to CS3 considerably.
    Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 05-20-2007, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I wonder if it would still be possible to get the student discount on software - that would really save you money.
      Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
      http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

If your student ID is still valid, most universities carry the adobe suites. I got mine from my community college bookstore. Might be able to get your computer there, too, and save a little.
        Think of me as programmable soda.
        Tori Amos

Comment

Sticky part is 'just graduated' on the student discount thing.
          Shoulda thought ahead to the career you are going into instead of waiting for the day after graduation...

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
            Sticky part is 'just graduated' on the student discount thing.
            Shoulda thought ahead to the career you are going into instead of waiting for the day after graduation...
            I know mac mall gives a student discount, and all they require is a current student ID, I ordered a couple of things from them with a non-expired ID and had been out of school for a year.

Doesn't hurt to try, all they can say is no.

Comment

How the hell do you have to verify student ID's from an eBay purchased item? Don't you have to verify via your order from Apple or whichever store you get it from?

Comment

Originally posted by reuber1
                How the hell do you have to verify student ID's from an eBay purchased item? Don't you have to verify via your order from Apple or whichever store you get it from?
                Maybe you have send over a scan or fax of your university eligibility. Of course this could be easily photoshopped. But in order to buy photoshop - you would have to pirate it first to fake the documents. But if you already went through the trouble of pirating it why buy it at all? My brain hurts ....

Chances are your last semester papers should still work Check out
                http://www.journeyed.com/home.asp
                Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

What I'm saying though is if you buy it from a third party through eBay, you bypass the whole proof of Student/Faculty status phase...I've seen listings where whomever is selling the software has 'no idea' that the version they have is the Educational version; people usually start questioning the suspiciously low price and then they say 'Oh, yes it is the Educational Version.' Unless when you activate the software if there's some sort of measure that you have to contact Adobe for. I dunno.

Comment

i know CS3 doesn't phone home repeatedly, but it might check the validity of a serial number on install or when you register. in the old days we'd get around it by installing the software and never registering. microsoft screwed that up by locking out updates unless you had a valid, unique serial number.

of course, i have to say, if i was making my living off of creating software, i'd want you to buy a legal copy as well.

off-topic but important:

CS3 does open up some ports in the mac's firewall, so versioncue can contact other machines and servers on your network. of course, right now there's a hole because versioncue shuts off your firewall when it's through:

http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb07-11.html

make sure if you have CS3 installed on your mac, that your firewall is activated.
                    Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X