No announcement yet.

Compressing files using DropStuff

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressing files using DropStuff

I'm about to compress about 100GB of files to be go onto DVD as back ups. My instructions were to use DropStuff to compress.

My options are:
    Stuffit X

Which is best?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Either of the Stuffit options should be good.

Dropstuff was just an easy way to access Stuffit (an icon you drop files on and it ran stuffit on them). Since you're supposed to be using dropstuff, make sure you're producing a .sit file - stuffit can happily produce other stuff as well.

If your using OS X, you should be using Stuffit v 10+. I've had earlier versions damage my OS X files.
      You're probably already done though.

Honestly, I'd zip the files. That seems to have become more of a cross-platform standard, for those not running the full version of Stuffit. I rarely use Stuffit anymore, I just use the Mac OS X zip format.

Then again, as doubting thomas stated, you're probably already done.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Not done at all!

I left about a quarter of it stuffing overnight. When I left it said it had about 400 hours worth of stuffing to do, but I really hope that's incorrect because I don't have 400 hours of computer free time. Hopefully what I've stuffed will be done overnight...

I really should do a test to see which format makes it the smallest. Then at least I will save time on burning DVDs.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Stuffit will usually produce a smaller file than Zip, though it will take much longer to compress.

Tar isn't a compression format at all - it's an archive format. That is, it takes a bunch of files and makes them into one file. It's usually combined with zip compression then, to make a .tgz - that is tar, gzipped file (where gzip is a common open source zip program).

Rar, bzip and Ace are also compression formats that get better compression ratios (albeit again slower) than zip. I don't remember seeing any rar or ace programs for Macs, though - but I'd guess there must be some. Bzip is another open source one, so you can certainly get it for Macs.

That's about all the general purpose compression software in common use at the moment, though there are plenty of more obscure ones.

there is a rar program unrarx but there others just google mac rar

100g buda phew

i would look for a image compression instead
              When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
              But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Different size file, find you, with different type of files, when you compress. Best compress, this terminal app called. Will find your smallest file size it will. Unwise is he who uses it on 100GB.

# bestcompress - given a file, try compressing it with all the available
                # compression tools and keep the compressed file that's smallest, reporting
                # the result to the user. If '-a' isn't specified, it skips compressed
                # files in the input stream.

if [ "$1" = "-a" ] ; then
                skipcompressed=0 ; shift

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
                echo "Usage: $0 [-a] file or files to optimally compress" >&2; exit 1

trap "/bin/rm -f $Zout $gzout $bzout" EXIT

for name
                if [ ! -f "$name" ] ; then
                echo "$0: file $name not found. Skipped." >&2

if [ "$(echo $name | egrep '(\.Z$|\.gz$|\.bz2$)')" != "" ] ; then
                if [ $skipcompressed -eq 1 ] ; then
                echo "Skipped file ${name}: it's already compressed."
                echo "Warning: Trying to double-compress $name"

$Z < "$name" > $Zout &
                $gz < "$name" > $gzout &
                $bz < "$name" > $bzout &

wait # run compressions in parallel for speed. Wait until all are done

smallest="$(ls -l "$name" $Zout $gzout $bzout | \
                awk '{print $5"="NR}' | sort -n | cut -d= -f2 | head -1)"

case "$smallest" in
                1 ) echo "No space savings by compressing $name. Left as-is."
                2 ) echo Best compression is with compress. File renamed ${name}.Z
                mv $Zout "${name}.Z" ; rm -f "$name"
                3 ) echo Best compression is with gzip. File renamed ${name}.gz
                mv $gzout "${name}.gz" ; rm -f "$name"
                4 ) echo Best compression is with bzip2. File renamed ${name}.bz2
                mv $bzout "${name}.bz2" ; rm -f "$name"

exit 0
                Media & Marketing; the perfect marriage.

whoa. yoda does unix. why does that not surprise me?
                  Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Originally posted by mojoprime
                    whoa. yoda does unix. why does that not surprise me?

Bash scripting is a bit like using the force, only you've got no Jedi mind trick to use on chicks.

Latest Topics

• Ray12
                        Reply to Best University/College for graphic design in Canada?
                        Hi there! I've been attending OCAD for two years now after attending another college. I'm told it's a much different atmosphere than colleges because it's less focused on "application" and more...
                        Today, 01:18 AM
                      • AdobePro
                        Adobe InDesign and a JPG Size
                        Hi again,
                        For some reason, the jpg that is 1920 px by 680 px does not fit into the Adobe InDesign 1920px by 680px document. When I place the jpg into INDesign it shows up much smaller. I know this...
                        Yesterday, 10:18 PM
                      • Kayekaye
                        Comment on E-book Cover Design color profile
                        Absolutely. There is nothing worse than explaining the color gamut to clients who have fallen in love with the vibrant RGB colors that turn to mud in CMYK. Nothing.
                        Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                      • Kayekaye
                        Reply to Drawing tablets
                        There are many wacom tablet owners right now that are not working with upgrades. Google and see if yours is one that doesn't have an update. I'm on mac, and I have heard that the Bamboo will not work...
                        Yesterday, 09:39 PM
                      • designzombie
                        Reply to Welcome back!
                        I thought Adobe bought out the forum to silence all the badmouthing of their brand I've been doing lately.
                        Yesterday, 07:20 PM

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright 2013 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us