Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to Landing Page Design Help
    Buda
    Hi janderson100 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
    Today, 12:28 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Self Logo Critique
    Buda
    I think the monogram logo is complicated enough. It's nice, but complicated. You don't need the heart shapes at all.
    Today, 12:26 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to cut down on meetings?
    Buda
    Thanks guys, I usually do meetings for free (people don't usually want to meet with me all that much) but will build it into my T&C from now.
    Today, 12:25 AM
  • Buda
    Comment on 7pt. Font size is industry standard for body text?
    Buda
    Who have you been overridden by? Can you say on the record that the text is too small?

I often do this if I'm working with a difficult client. At least when the job is printed, and the client...
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Freelance Opportunities as a stu
    Buda
    Hi raincheck and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
    Today, 12:20 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressing files using DropStuff

I'm about to compress about 100GB of files to be go onto DVD as back ups. My instructions were to use DropStuff to compress.

My options are:
    Stuffit X
    Stuffit
    Zip
    Tar

Which is best?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Either of the Stuffit options should be good.

Dropstuff was just an easy way to access Stuffit (an icon you drop files on and it ran stuffit on them). Since you're supposed to be using dropstuff, make sure you're producing a .sit file - stuffit can happily produce other stuff as well.

Comment

If your using OS X, you should be using Stuffit v 10+. I've had earlier versions damage my OS X files.
      You're probably already done though.

Comment

Honestly, I'd zip the files. That seems to have become more of a cross-platform standard, for those not running the full version of Stuffit. I rarely use Stuffit anymore, I just use the Mac OS X zip format.

Then again, as doubting thomas stated, you're probably already done.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Not done at all!

I left about a quarter of it stuffing overnight. When I left it said it had about 400 hours worth of stuffing to do, but I really hope that's incorrect because I don't have 400 hours of computer free time. Hopefully what I've stuffed will be done overnight...

I really should do a test to see which format makes it the smallest. Then at least I will save time on burning DVDs.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Stuffit will usually produce a smaller file than Zip, though it will take much longer to compress.

Tar isn't a compression format at all - it's an archive format. That is, it takes a bunch of files and makes them into one file. It's usually combined with zip compression then, to make a .tgz - that is tar, gzipped file (where gzip is a common open source zip program).

Rar, bzip and Ace are also compression formats that get better compression ratios (albeit again slower) than zip. I don't remember seeing any rar or ace programs for Macs, though - but I'd guess there must be some. Bzip is another open source one, so you can certainly get it for Macs.

That's about all the general purpose compression software in common use at the moment, though there are plenty of more obscure ones.

Comment

there is a rar program unrarx but there others just google mac rar

100g buda phew

i would look for a image compression instead
              When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
              But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Different size file, find you, with different type of files, when you compress. Best compress, this terminal app called. Will find your smallest file size it will. Unwise is he who uses it on 100GB.

#!/bin/sh

# bestcompress - given a file, try compressing it with all the available
                # compression tools and keep the compressed file that's smallest, reporting
                # the result to the user. If '-a' isn't specified, it skips compressed
                # files in the input stream.

Z="compress"
                gz="gzip"
                bz="bzip2"
                Zout="/tmp/bestcompress.$$.Z"
                gzout="/tmp/bestcompress.$$.gz"
                bzout="/tmp/bestcompress.$$.bz"
                skipcompressed=1

if [ "$1" = "-a" ] ; then
                skipcompressed=0 ; shift
                fi

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
                echo "Usage: $0 [-a] file or files to optimally compress" >&2; exit 1
                fi

trap "/bin/rm -f $Zout $gzout $bzout" EXIT

for name
                do
                if [ ! -f "$name" ] ; then
                echo "$0: file $name not found. Skipped." >&2
                continue
                fi

if [ "$(echo $name | egrep '(\.Z$|\.gz$|\.bz2$)')" != "" ] ; then
                if [ $skipcompressed -eq 1 ] ; then
                echo "Skipped file ${name}: it's already compressed."
                continue
                else
                echo "Warning: Trying to double-compress $name"
                fi
                fi

$Z < "$name" > $Zout &
                $gz < "$name" > $gzout &
                $bz < "$name" > $bzout &

wait # run compressions in parallel for speed. Wait until all are done

smallest="$(ls -l "$name" $Zout $gzout $bzout | \
                awk '{print $5"="NR}' | sort -n | cut -d= -f2 | head -1)"

case "$smallest" in
                1 ) echo "No space savings by compressing $name. Left as-is."
                ;;
                2 ) echo Best compression is with compress. File renamed ${name}.Z
                mv $Zout "${name}.Z" ; rm -f "$name"
                ;;
                3 ) echo Best compression is with gzip. File renamed ${name}.gz
                mv $gzout "${name}.gz" ; rm -f "$name"
                ;;
                4 ) echo Best compression is with bzip2. File renamed ${name}.bz2
                mv $bzout "${name}.bz2" ; rm -f "$name"
                esac

done

exit 0
                Media & Marketing; the perfect marriage. maa.technical-t.com

Comment

whoa. yoda does unix. why does that not surprise me?
                  Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by mojoprime
                    whoa. yoda does unix. why does that not surprise me?
                    Ha!

Comment

Bash scripting is a bit like using the force, only you've got no Jedi mind trick to use on chicks.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X