Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what Chair is best to work in!

HI there,

I often work from home and my office chair although very comfy is wearing out! Bigtime. I often work long hours and I'm very conscious about correct posture and R.S.I so I'm wondering what chair of type is best recomended for heavy sessions in front of the screen?

any feedback welcome

cheers

Kie

Get the same model you just had? If it works, why change it?

Comment

hi there, I forgot to mention I got it from a 2nd hand shop and its from the 70's or 80's. So know replacement I am afraid... Whats your chair like?

Comment

I'm sitting on a dining chair at home. It's very upright so it is probably good for my back.

At work I sit on a swivel office chair. I'm too small for it so my back doesn't even touch the back rest because I'm too far forward on the seat (so that I can touch the ground)...can't help ya.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Dining chair is actually good enough for working, swivel chair will make the sitting unsteady. I sit on dining chair at office and oftentimes only on cushion when at home.

Comment

can't you get the chair re-stuffed and recovered?
            we've done that with a few chairs now
            The beginning is always today.

Comment

Well, if you want one of the best of the best, and if you can afford it, I recommend the Aeron chair (or it's more compact counterpart, the Mirra). Here in the U.S. though it can easily run you about a thousand USD with all the bells and whistles, but worth it. Most of the companies I contract for own them.

Other than that, look for any chair that advertises good built in lumbar support. And speaking as someone who has a bad back, it pays to have a sit on them rather than just buy whatever you see online based on the product specifications—not all lumbar chairs are as good and sturdy as they seem. You also should test drive for the quality of the materials as well.

|
              Archetype Design Studio - Creatively Disciplined, Design Driven | Portfolio Peepshow - Taking a featured projects peek | ARCHE-BLogGER - A virtual exploration inside the Creative Mind | no!spec - Eradicating speculative work one designer at a time | Combating the Stigma of the Overpriced Designer - A Creative's first intrepid adventure in design journalism |

Comment

i agree with seapony. i went through several chairs before finding one that would work well. as you get a little older, your sitting and working position becomes vital. lumbar support, for me, is crucial. also being able to move the seat forward or back, and adjust the tilt of the chair and not just whether or not you can lean back.

i've learned over the years -- and through some PT for some back issues -- that the chair is a lot more important than most people think it is. to me, it's as key as having your arm in the right position to mouse well, having the keyboard at the right position and height, and above all, remembering that every hour or so, you really need to stretch your arms and get up.

if you forget to get up, keep a full glass of water next to you, and drink a lot. trust me, you'll get up.
                Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I have the Herman Miller Aeron chair and swear by it... best money i've ever spent on a chair.
                  Comes in 3 different sizes, which is awesome because i'm 6'5" and no other chair fits me right.
                  www.standercreative.com

Comment

Definately don't count out 2nd hand shops or garage sales. I use my grandpa's old steel office chair from around the 40's. Greatest chair I have ever sat in ever, better than the Aeron's at work imo.

Comment

I was just looking up chairs yesterday and I stumbled across the Aeron chair. Lots of great concepts, but that's a steep price. I've sat in them before, and the only thing I noticed that felt different was that lower back bolster. The back is mesh, so your back can "breathe" which is also cool. One thing I didn't like was the lack of padding on those chairs. Great posture, but I like chairs that have a little fluff.
                      Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

My stool in the corner is great. I could do without having to wear the long, pointy hat though. Why not a bean bag chair?

For my home, I bought a nice, comfy chair for the computer room. Brought it home, only to find it didn't fit through the 24" wide doorway to my computer room. Old houses suck.
                        . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

When I worked in an office at Disneyland, they bought Aerons for everyone. They are pricey, do wonders for heat dissipation on your backside but have one flaw noone talks about, the fabric is not nearly as nice as the older Herman Millers with the foam. The older HMs have a dense foam seat and back. We bought two of them for our home office and we've had them for about 10 years and they are still as comfortable as ever. We bought ours at a local used business furniture store. (New Herman Miller Aeron $800... Older Herman Miller with the dense comfy foam $80)
                          You can do anything at zombo.com, anything at all.

Comment

I saw massage office chairs the other day. From around $100US, that's pretty damn good.

Anyone used a massage office chair before?
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Silence04
                              I have the Herman Miller Aeron chair and swear by it... best money i've ever spent on a chair.
                              Comes in 3 different sizes, which is awesome because i'm 6'5" and no other chair fits me right.
                              I'm 6'3" and I loved that chair. I worked at a job where they had those chairs in every cubical & office.. The bad thing about that chair was, it was easy to fall asleep in, way to comfortable.
                              pas·sion
                              If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                              -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X