Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Design problem with the 'shiny floor effect' and character tails Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design problem with the 'shiny floor effect' and character tails

I have a title on a site I'm working on, and to make it a bit more visually appealing I've been experimenting with the 'shiny floor effect', essentially just a faint reflection below it. My problem is, I can't get the reflection for the lowercase 'g' to look right.

If I put the reflection right up against the bottom of the text, I like how it looks all except for the g. If I line it up with the g, the rest of it doesn't look right. (see image below).

Any suggestions? (other than just making it all uppercase). Alternative but similar text effects would be welcome too.

any help is much appreciated.

Raise the g so that it's descender 'hits' the floor?

If you want to add a 3D perspective effect, you can't just arbitrarily change the rules.

Comment

mask out the top part of the G in the reflection, and butt all the rest of it up against the baseline. Also, for an even better effect, add a bit of perspective to it to really give the floor feeling.
      ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

What about just making the "g" uppercase?

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
          Raise the g so that it's descender 'hits' the floor?

If you want to add a 3D perspective effect, you can't just arbitrarily change the rules.
          LOL!

Just change the gravitational constant of the Universe!

^My favorite Star Trek line...

Does anyone else think this particular "web 2.0" effect is a little uh...overused? I don't know as it adds more interest.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-24-2007, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, that definitely helped me get it looking better. The perspective tip helped too.

I'm quite conscious of the fact that it's become a bit of a cliche 'web 2.0' effect, it just seems to work quite well in the context I'm using it in. The homepage has a title banner, a large area of white space with just this line of text in it, and then two buttons further down which link to the two 'subsites'. All the other effects I've experimented with just don't look as nice as this one in my eyes. Of course the effects I'm familiar with only represent a tiny fraction of what's possible, so if there's any other neat tricks to making a single line of black text on a white background more interesting, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm all for using something more original.

Comment

Being original is part of your job description. If someone else tells you what to do it wouldn't be original.

Comment

heh, true. I think I'll start over on this one anyway, looking at it a day later, I don't like how it's turning out.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                Working...
                X