X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending attachments via Mail.app

I'm wondering if any of you experience this problem: I attach a photo to an e-mail and send it off to someone who is likely using Outlook. They open the e-mail and the image is embedded in the e-mail, rather than showing up as an attachment. They e-mail me back, asking, "Can you send it as an attachment instead?" Yes, I DID send it as an attachment. I even tried right-clicking on the image and choosing "View as icon."

Do any of you who use Mail.app get this a lot? Is there some option in that program I'm overlooking that would attach rather than embed the photo? Or is Outlook just being stupid (most likely)?

BTW, I think we need to preach the wonders of the right-click to all these computer noobs. So many useful functions are overlooked there.

What are you using to send the photo? Apple's Mail?

Comment

I've had that problem before as well. I just sent it again and it must force them to figure it out because the second time always works.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
        What are you using to send the photo? Apple's Mail?
        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tea
          I've had that problem before as well. I just sent it again and it must force them to figure it out because the second time always works.
          Ditto. Otherwise you could send it online via something line yousendit.com. It doesn't happen often and it only seems to happen to the non-technically minded, so I'm not sure that is a REAL problem at all.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

You have to make sure the attachment is at the very end of the e-mail (including any signatures you might have), otherwise Mail embeds it instead of attaching it. At least that's what I figured out, because this used to happen to me to.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Now that makes sense. Because when I would send it a second time, usuallly I did not include any text or a simple "Let's try again." How weird is that, but good to know. Now if I can just remember that.

Comment

The dead giveaway for me (now, after I figured it out) is that when you insert the attachment with text after it, you generally get a preview of the image or whatever, when you do it at the very end, you just get an icon with the filename.

Comment

I always wondered about this myself.
                  My Site

Comment

I'm using OS X 10.4.9 and my Apple mail has a check box for "windows friendly attachments" when you attach a file.
                    Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

I've never noticed that checkbox, Surf, where is it?

Comment

Write a new mail. Hit the "attach" button on top. A box pops up that lets you select the file you want to attach. The bottom of those box has a small checkbox for the windows-friendly option.

Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Wow, I never noticed that checkbox! Doh! Thanks Surfpark .

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to try a combination of putting the attachment at the end of the message and sending in plain text format.

Also, I think there is an option to always have that "Send Windows-friendly attachments" checked by default. In Mail.app, make sure you don't have any messages open then go to Edit->Attachments->Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments.

Comment

Apple Mail is so weird...
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X