Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    kemingMatters
    Drop shadow is a raster effect, you'll have to look in the appearance palette to remove the effect
    Today, 11:02 PM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    Pavlo
    I really like the latest version and the concept of the e's facing / speaking with each other. The look and feel is vastly improved and I get an immediate sense of what you are trying to say about the...
    Today, 10:44 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    KitchWitch
    Hi Signing Toys and welcome to GDF.

If you are looking to hire a deaf graphic designer, please post in the classified section and be sure to include an email address so people can contact...
    Today, 10:26 PM
  • Signing Toys
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    Signing Toys
    Starting a business and am in need of a Deaf graphic Artist fluent in ASL and Deaf community. Please contact me.
    Today, 10:18 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Mr.Mag00 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 08:27 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple dieline/diecut questions...

1. Why do we work with dieline in Illustrator (mainly). Why can't I do it in InDesign where I feel more comfortable.

2. Do you actually print the dielines for bleeds/folds etc, or do you just leave it off. I've heard mixed things.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

The Standard answer is ask your printer.

I take dielines in any program BUT if you are going to do it in InDesign you might want to make it a separate layer and make the shape with no stroke and no fill. That's what we ask for. Even in Illy it is safer to send it as noted. No chance of a non-printing layer accidentally getting turned on...

Comment

If you can create the lines in Indy, go ahead, why not? Just make the lines a spot color, not process, and not a spot that's in the job itself. The dies are for the die maker and printer. You can print the lines for proofing purposes but do not print the lines on a live job.
      WYSIWYG

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

What if you're not printing with a professional printer? Without my dielines, how do I know where to cut if I have bleeds? Will InDesign give my trim marks for this?

Comment

I make dielines in Indesign quite often. Just follow advice above. No problems!
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

If you are hand cutting, you print them of course.
            Just cut to the inside so they don't show.
            Caffeine or a state of inebriation is not recommended for this work.

Who said you had to do them in Illustrator?
            You could even do them in Photoshop if you wanted to. Or Quack. Or whatever.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the help!

Originally posted by PrintDriver
              Who said you had to do them in Illustrator?
              You could even do them in Photoshop if you wanted to. Or Quack. Or whatever.
              I was doing some research online, I think it was the Adobe Forums, and most people there preferred Illustrator for packaging. One little tutorial I was reading advised that you create your dieline work in Illustrator, then save it as .eps and bring it into InDesign for layout and print reasons. Just wanted to see what the people here preferred.

Comment

It isn't so much what people prefer as what the print vendor prefers.

Personally, I find that getting a place eps file out of InDesign can sometimes be a little more hair-raising that just getting an outline out that has been drawn within InDesign. Designers have a habit of resizing things and an .eps outline that is placed is not necessarily the same size as the outline in the original Illy file... If you are gonna place it, do it at 100% please.

Just for the record, the die-lines I use are not executed within the program of creation. They are pulled out and fed into another program that cuts along the outside of the path using anything from a laser, to waterjet, to a 5'x10' CNC router table. I don't necessarily make actual dies (though I've jobbed those out too )
                Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-25-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

People generally create their dielines within Illustrator and then import them as a picture cause you can move it around easier within the program without the worry of moving one part and not another. This helps you when working and fine tuning your project. Less of a chance to screw it up (c:
                  Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

We use a visible dieline or "cutpath" that is a spot color that is specifically called a CutPath and set up a certain way in order for it to be read by our printer's rip.

We use either Illy or Corel to do this. Haven't tried a path in InDesign or Photoshop yet. Might have to toss another experiment on the printer during an off day.

Our printer is mainly used for signs and decals, the printer has a knife that will go back and cut along the CutPath to create our cuts for us. If you are sending this out, more than likely the cutpath/dieline is not going to be visible on the print.

The other thing that you want to ask your printer is if the require a bleed on the project. I've found that many times the printer's cutpath is off a bit on the registration and a bleed enables it to hide anything that is not lining up quite right.

I don't have much experience with how the dieline is converted to an actual die - for boxes and such.

Comment

If you're working with a particular packaging company, cd or envelope maker that uses dies, quite often you can download an Illy file from their website. I would download one anyway to see how they handle folds, flaps that tuck in and so forth. Good learning experience!

What I do if it's a template I use often in Illy, I'll convert the paths to guides and then you're sure that they will never print no matter what.

And, yes, always check with your printer before you get too deep into a project. It's much easier to know beforehand than to have a finished project and have to back-track.
                      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by CkretAjint
                        People generally create their dielines within Illustrator and then import them as a picture cause you can move it around easier within the program without the worry of moving one part and not another. This helps you when working and fine tuning your project. Less of a chance to screw it up (c:
                        Sure, but if you know what you are doing, you work in layers and you group your dieline once you have drawn it.
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Wow, thanks for all your help, guys.

Anyone know any sites that offer free dieline downloads to practise with?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X