X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filters?! are you serious?

So.. we have a new project to do in class. It is for a poster that will be published of the events on campus for next year. (One design will be chosen).

11x17, full bleed, four color... and we are required to incorporate the images provided. Problem is, all of the images are about 2"x3" when at 300dpi.

Our instructor's advice: (and I quote from our assignment sheet) "Because the images provided are small, you must upsize them and this presents a variety of technical problems. Upsize images first, then use filters to disguise the upsize problem."

Filters?

My opinion is that filters generally cheapen and dilute design and I am not really fond of using them.

There has to be another way… I think I am going to use the images at the size they are at and repeat them in a pattern or something to that effect.

Oh, there are also about 25 images to choose from… Oh I don’t know… we just got the assignment…

Any other ideas out there?
    [insert clever signature here]

It seems to be all the rage to 'disguise' low-grade photos using a variety of filters. Sometimes though you may be working at a size where you have no choice even if you had professional grade 8" color transies available for scanning.

The trick with filters is don't make it a 1-click thing. Be artistic about it. Research customized filters and use various combinations. Play with color. Play with blurs. Play with converting first then upsizing rather than upsizing first. You never know...

The exercise is a valid one. Just try not to make a habit of it.

Comment

I agree. Make the most of it. Perhaps it's really a lesson on learning how to tastefully use filters!
      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Yes, it's a valid assignment.
        Once out in the "real world" you'll find at times you'll be given an unsuitable photo thet the client demands that you use and you will have to find a way to "polish a turd".
        Think about isolating varous elements on the photo and what is the best way to teak them.
        Get arty with it.
        Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Ah, very true. I am always quick to pick out the negatives of each assignment, and I know that this is going to happen frequently.

I'll play around with them and see what I can come up with.. but I will be making a back up design.
          [insert clever signature here]

Comment

I keep envisioning something warholish wherein you could use the filters, but not really have to sacrifice resolution.
            You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

I have to "Polish Turds" on a daily basis
              sometimes with the use of a turd polishing filter

We also had a similiar assignment in school.
              Living Large in Trenton..........BOOYAH

Comment

Could you bluff it and print it at 200 or 150 dpi? Might give you a few inches to kick around with... Not the BEST idea in the world, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do with crummy images.
                Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

have you looked into blow up over at http://www.alienskin.com/? i haven't used it but it looks like it would help you out in your situation. i think you can get a demo version of it. can't hurt to give it a shot.

i would think about doing a collage or using the pics to make a larger image. just something to kick around =]

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Originally posted by Typically
                    have you looked into blow up over at http://www.alienskin.com?
                    There is also PixelScale out there... We use it at work all the time for larger posters and banners. Works rather well for what it does.
                    Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

It's not the filters that cheapens a design, it's the cheap designer using the filters.
                      My Site

Comment

I agree with everyone, this is a necessary evil.

I work with someone who prints large format stuff. Alot of the stuff comes in as "web" graphics and needs to fill a banner. Sometimes you can say Garbage-In/Garbage-Out, but other times you got to work with what little you have.

Comment

evil shenagins!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I'm gonna pistol whip the next person to say shenanagins!!
                            My Site

Comment

Blow Up, PixelScale, Genuine Fractals, Photoshop's newer Interpolation engines (Bipolar smoother and sharper) are all about the same. GIGO applies. They all work relatively well at smaller sizes given a relatively good though low res image to work with. It's when you want to go to poster size or above that you gotta give it up. 4" to 8" you have a chance. 4" to 8'? Not so much.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X