• MichaelWied
    Comment on Company Logo Rebranding Critique
    MichaelWied
    Cant' see it for some reason.
    Today, 04:15 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    Buda
    Is the company name still The Fitness Doctors? The latest logo doesn't show this.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    Buda
    Oh lala, if your summer is ending, that means my winter is ending.

Amazing pirate mermaid wedding! I went to a pirate birthday party on a boat once but that doesn't even compare to a wedding....
    Today, 03:35 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    salsa
    If it were me, I'd just write off all the work done so far as pro bono. Like several others already mentioned, I do all family work for free and if they want to pay me then that's an extra bonus.
    Today, 03:23 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Freelance Advice - Family Conflict
    Kayekaye
    I had inlaws approach me for a logo and website. What a nightmare. They are a married professional couple and said "Of course we would pay you, $___ (an amount that barely covers 2 hours of work)...
    Today, 03:07 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comic Sans and tact

I received this request from one of our HR people:

Is it possible to create a "look" using the new logo that would be used on the Employee handbooks? It would need to be a graphic we can incorporate into the documents that currently exist (one is in Word, one is in Publisher.) Please think about it.
    Other than the logo, what kind of "graphic" could I use? Mind you, this employee handbook is printed on b/w copiers. Also, it's very text-heavy (you know, lots of "policy" stuff).

Personally, I think it would be best if I just created a nice cover for her to use (preprinted, not in Word or Publisher), and if she stopped using C**** S***. How do I tactfully tell her to stop using it? She knows I dislike it, but I'm not quite sure how to tell her *why* it's not a good idea to use it on every e-mail, brochure, and handbook she prints.

I know some of you must have dealt with this before! Help!

Plan A: Explain to her that the font gives a childish impression and should not be used in offical company documents where professionalism is important. In addition, it causes eye strain.

Plan B: Break into her office at night and remove the dreaded font from her machine.
    Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Tell her that inorder to give the book a newer and fresh feel new fonts should be utilized since the 'book' is so text heavy. That by simply changing a font you can change the entire feel of the book allowing it to seem more professional without having to reword everything.

Or if your friends with people in your IT department you can have them delete Comic Sans from certain peoples computers. Then they can't use it and are forced to change the font to something else. It's a common PC problem ... Not that I have done that before. (Actually I did that before, but it was around Y2K, I just blamed it on her Y2K update software. lol)....

As for a 'style':

- Perhaps come up with a style guide for her to use and follow, offer help with problems that may occur.

- Stock photos, clip art, and images you can create for her. Place them all in a folder for her to pick them out of. Then she can use what she likes and doesn't

I think if you are able to standardize the font useage, colors, and sizes used this will occomplish 70% of the look they are looking for right off the bat....
      Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Riya
        Plan A: Explain to her that the font gives a childish impression and should not be used in offical company documents where professionalism is important. In addition, it causes eye strain.

Plan B: Break into her office at night and remove the dreaded font from her machine.
        Definitely need to remember plan B.
        My Site

Comment

Thanks so much guys. I'm going to tell her that I'll create a cover for her, and that the inside isn't going to look much better by adding a "graphic" (I hate that word, btw). I'm explaining that the inside will look fine as long as the typography is consistent, legible, and professional-looking. It might be boring in Times New Roman, but that's better than looking silly or elementary.

Also, I will be creating a standards manual later in June. Oh boy, I can't wait to finally get to it. Will people actually read it and use it? I don't know. Maybe, just maybe, a couple people will stop squishing the logo and using Comic Sans because they saw it in the standards manual.

Oh, and did any of you know that in MS Publisher you can't hold down the Shift key to retain proportion as you resize an image? I tried helping someone place the logo in a file on their computer and the Shift key did nothing. WTH?

Comment

Originally posted by undressedmonster
            She knows I dislike it, but I'm not quite sure how to tell her *why* it's not a good idea to use it on every e-mail, brochure, and handbook she prints.
            If you're not sure how to tell her "why" - then don't. Tell her "because I said so" - and pinch her arm everytime she does use it. That'll teach her.
            . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

Originally posted by LeftBrain Artist
              If you're not sure how to tell her "why" - then don't. Tell her "because I said so" - and pinch her arm everytime she does use it. That'll teach her.
              Only if she is cute and can take a joke... Definately not something I would do to the 85 year old hag of the office. LOL
              Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

publisher. they should be shot for even using that term.

*shiver*
                Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

"Comic Sans and tact"
                  does not belong in the same sentence!
                  Chuck Norris could have found the WMDs

Comment

People read Standards Manuals as often as Designers read Printer Specification Sheets.
                    <ie, They won't. >

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X