Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many jobs can you finish in a month?

Making a study here about starting up a graphic design business.

First question is, for an average designer proficient and all design software (Photoshop, AI, InD, Dreamweaver, Flash), how many websites can you produce in a month? Lets say an average website has 5 pages.

For a graphic designer for print, how many jobs can you accomplish in a month? A rough estimate will do.

Just need these info so I can make a sales forecast.

Thanks!

I'm mainly print, and I can complete up to 1000 jobs per month. Little ones mind you. Then again, it could be as few as 1/6 of a job, if its really big and I'm the only one working on it.

Ummm. Web or print, you'll find clients can severely affect the cost and time to do a job. And the content of that job is a large factor as well. Jobs can be as simple as a quick and dirty flyer or ad that can be created in 15 to 20 minutes, made using a few lines of customer supplied copy and a pre-existing logo, and the client will let you do whatever you want — all the way up to manuals or literature hundreds of pages long with complex tables and charts, massive amounts of illustration/photoshop work to be done, and a committee of clients who rarely have the opportunity to meet and when they do meet will edit and revise the project, in all seriousness sometimes dragging a project out for years.

Before you can accurately predict sales, you will need to pinpoint the nature of your clientele, and the nature of the work to be done. If you plan on going after whatever you can get your hands on, be aware this is truly a feast or famine service industry. There may be periods when you go for a month or two without being able to invoice. And there may be times when you have a monty haul, because you can finally invoice a large number of jobs. In an ideal situation, one tries to keep things as consistent as possible, but month to month is not usually a sound planning schedule for GD - it should be done year to year.
    . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

I usually complete and invoice 5-15 jobs per month.
      . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

I work in prepress for a day job so average 20 jobs come through my hands a day - that ranges from only setting stuff up for press right through to working on something from scratch. Prepress stuff can take me a few minutes, larger jobs can take 30 hours (spread over a few months).

I do some freelancing in my spare time in which me and my partner go through about 5 jobs per month. So close to 1 job per week between 2 people. We mostly work on these in the weekends but evenings also.

How many jobs that can be done in a month most depends on clients than myself. It depends on how organised the client is and how long it takes for them to proof jobs. My turnaround is normally 2-3 days but clients can take weeks to get back to me which drags on jobs too long.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

It sort of works... could this be the question to the ultimate answer?
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

What a weird question.

Some of the designers I know work on 3 projects in as many years. Big ones though.

You'd do better to figure out what you need for cash flow and work your butt off getting the jobs in to make it. There's a lot of competition out there.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-31-2007, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bjdelro
              Making a study here about starting up a graphic design business.
              Just need these info so I can make a sales forecast.

Thanks!
              I think that it would be best to find a business class or even meet with your local small business administration for your local area.

You are not going to get the information "You" need from other designers. It only comes from you, your area, and who is your competition.

One 5 page job can be done in an hour another 5 page job can take 50 hours or more. There's no consistancy in this industry unless you have built a series of regular customers yourself.

We don't work for you, therefore what we can do in a month has absolutely no bearing on your sales forcast.

With misinformation like this, you will fail before you start.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                What a weird question.

Some of the designers I know work on 3 projects in as many years. Big ones though.
                I've been working on one major website design for...ohhh, about nine years, give or take. Really depends on the contract and the scope of the job.

|
                Archetype Design Studio - Creatively Disciplined, Design Driven | Portfolio Peepshow - Taking a featured projects peek | ARCHE-BLogGER - A virtual exploration inside the Creative Mind | no!spec - Eradicating speculative work one designer at a time | Combating the Stigma of the Overpriced Designer - A Creative's first intrepid adventure in design journalism |

Comment

Originally posted by morea

It sort of works... could this be the question to the ultimate answer?
                  lol
                  nice one.

Comment

Ladened or unladened jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by quiltfacearmy
                      lol
                      nice one.

I was hoping someone would catch that... and this was your 42nd post!
                      It has got to be a sign.
                      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Wouldn't this be an interesting question to ask other professionals, for some trade pattern comparisons?

Con man?
                        Hit man?

Prostitute?

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                          Wouldn't this be an interesting question to ask other professionals, for some trade pattern comparisons?

Con man?
                          Hit man?

Prostitute?
                          Sales Forecasters?
                          . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

Comment

European or African jobs?
                            Less be more.

Comment

I'm currently on job no. 5. The larch.

The larch.
                              . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X