Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    kemingMatters
    Drop shadow is a raster effect, you'll have to look in the appearance palette to remove the effect
    Today, 11:02 PM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    Pavlo
    I really like the latest version and the concept of the e's facing / speaking with each other. The look and feel is vastly improved and I get an immediate sense of what you are trying to say about the...
    Today, 10:44 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    KitchWitch
    Hi Signing Toys and welcome to GDF.

If you are looking to hire a deaf graphic designer, please post in the classified section and be sure to include an email address so people can contact...
    Today, 10:26 PM
  • Signing Toys
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    Signing Toys
    Starting a business and am in need of a Deaf graphic Artist fluent in ASL and Deaf community. Please contact me.
    Today, 10:18 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Mr.Mag00 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 08:27 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good artworker?

Hi everyone,

I'm going out with my friend for dinner this evening, and she wants my advice on getting herself some freelance work. However, she doesn't really know if she can market herself as an artworker if she doesn't know every single technical thing that can go wrong with a piece of design work going to print. Has anyone stumbled upon a 'what you should know as an artworker' test anywhere on the web? I'm curious!

(and to clarify, I realise there might be a difference in terminology between countries as to what I would call an 'artworker' - my notion is that an artworker is someone with high level skills in Pshop, InDesign, Quark, Illustrator etc.... who can get a job ready to go to print, but doesn't necessarily do much conceptual design.

(Although I'd class myself as both a graphic designer/artworker anyway as I have to do the whole shebang!)

Thanking you all!

oooh - and if this has been posted elsewhere - my apologies. I did a quick search but nothing for 'artworker' came up, oddly.

Comment

I call that kind of worker either a junior prepress operator or a desktop publisher. Both quite respectable positions. If she's very good at it she could even approach design studios who often struggle in this area and would be happy to have somebody who actually doesn't MIND taking over this stuff, if they can really 'see' what they're after and be able to take their pieces through to hand-off stage..

Comment

Production Artist comes to mind as well.
        However, a production artist should work toward a printer's spec. And all that takes is a phone call or an email...

Comment

I guess that's what we call a mac operator. Someone that take instruction but isn't actually very creative. More like a seamstress than a fashion designer.

There are things that can potentially be set up incorrectly in every job. I guess the best thing to do is to keep an open relationship with the print and to be easily contactable to correct any file problems. Always have your contact details attached to every job, CD etc.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I happen to be a very proud production artist. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't take creativity to be one. Sure you might be working from supplied templates but you still need an artistic eye to set properly pleasant cropping of images and get that type to work out in a visually appealing manner.

Comment

I agree with PD completely. Of course, it's a question of degree, and how much of that you need, or want.

It reminds me of the laugh I had the other day while reading the description of a 'staff development' workshop that was being offered here called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff' and all about how reducing the obsession with details reduces stress. That kind of philosophy would go over well in design OR production, right?

I betcha it's being presented by a manager.

Comment

Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't sweat the due date so much. I mean, why be obsessed with a small detail such as a date on a calendar?
                LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                  I guess that's what we call a mac operator.
                  Now THAT's a term I find highly offensive and it makes absolutely no sense. The implication being that if you can operate a Mac you can do prepress. Such nonsense.

Comment

...wouldn't that also imply that a PC is a better platform for creative non-production designer-types?
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Puhleeze, let's not make this one of those threads. Mmm-kay?
                      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

You mean, we should try and keep this 'PC' (politically correct)?

I think old PCers like myself sometimes can't help but indulge in a little dream that someday, maybe forty years from now, when we're all toothless and in adult iDiapers--that some big shot from AIGA, or some other large graphic design industry rep, will announce at a press conference, that yes, they're sorry that they slammed all those doors in those PC-only job applicant faces (after spitting on them) for so many years.

And as a token gesture of apology, the term "Mac Operator" and "Mac Designer" will be officially banished from the Help Wanted sections of all design trade mags. And what the heck, here pops, enjoy your free iPod.

(I thought I forgot the nineties, but they really were nasty to PC designers... weren't they?)

Comment

LOL Broacher.

Nah, I just meant puhleeze, not another PC vs. Mac thread. It's so 1990's. I don't think it really matters anymore.

Comment

It may not matter, you're right. But as someone who experienced professional anti-PCism first hand, at a critical point in my career, I can't help but get a little cynical at the historical revisionism that's gone on around that battle. It's like, it never really happened.

"History is just one f***** thing after another." -- 'Rudge' character from 'The History Boys'

Comment

Well, I never hated PC's on principle, just hated 'em because whenever we would get a job in (in the 90's) to separate on a PC, it was hell on wheels. Fonts were an issue, compatibility with the imagesetter was an issue (if they'd even speak at all), etc.

That's all changed now. Thus my revisionist viewpoint. <wink>

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X