Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash Course

Hi all,
    Hoping you can help. I'm currently trying to find a job where I can earn money as well as learn/train on the job. I've started looking at trainee graphic design jobs but 99% are, quite rightly, asking for good knowledge of:-

Print preparation

Adobe InDesign
    Adobe Illustrator
    Adobe Photoshop
    Macromedia Flash
    Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm currently trying to get back into graphic design after completing a multimedia degree course and after an extended break (see my earlier post if you can be bothered!). I dont want to spend the next year and a half almost retraining as i'm sure I still have knowledge of alot of the theory stuff. But I do want a bit more structure than just stumbling through the packages and feeling my way around.

Could anybody supply or point me in the direction of the recomended free short but informative tutourials on the above packages? that maybe increase in difficulty to bring me up to speed.

This would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys & Gurls!

Chandler: You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean.......whaaaaaat is that about?

Here's some:

Photoshop: Russell Brown

Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash: Tutorial Outpost

InDesign: InDesign Secrets

A Google search will find you batches of stuff like this, by the way.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Hundreds of Misc. tutorials in high quality pdfs: http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials

Comment

Excellent.
        I realise there are countless tutourial sites out there but I guess I really wanted to ask you guys (in your expert knowledge) which you think are the best.

Thanks
        Chandler: You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean.......whaaaaaat is that about?

Comment

It's really all about what you want to accomplish is how to find the best tutorial for that goal.

One site might have a great tutorial on creating/manipulating hair on a photo. Another might have a great tutorial on how to layout a brochure.

Is there one site that has them all? nope.

However, there is http://www.lynda.com/ which may help you on your way. This has been recommended before by many on this forum. I haven't used it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticky
            I've started looking at trainee graphic design jobs but 99% are, quite rightly, asking for good knowledge of:-

Print preparation

Adobe InDesign
            Adobe Illustrator
            Adobe Photoshop
            Macromedia Flash
            Macromedia Dreamweaver
            That's ridiculous!! All you need to be a good graphic designer is PSP, Publisher, the MySpace Website Designer, and a good laser printer!! Then you'll pwn!1!1!
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

^lol

Comment

^Lol,

Cheers Drazan - Its not that i'm looking for a tutorial for a specific technique. Basically just want a varied range of tutorials that will get me back up to speed.

Thanks for all the links guys youve given me loads to be getting on with.

Comment

I'm suprised at how many employers try to hire a print/web/interactive/video designer for peanuts. I mean, seriously, they want someone to do it all, do it well, and do it for chump change.

If I ever go back to an office I will definitely look for one that allows me to specialize. I hated feeling like everything I did was sort of half crappy because I just didn't have enough experience in any one thing to do it really well.
                  Think of me as programmable soda.
                  Tori Amos

Comment

Oh, specialization definitely pays off, Jessi!

It's as I said before... There is a common feeling that if you're Jack of All Trades, you're Master of None. Who makes all the money? The Masters, of course. And who does all the work? The Jacks.

I don't even let people know everything I can do. Why let them recatagorize you into a lower pay scale, and add more to your workload at the same time?
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                    Working...
                    X