X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners question

I will apologize now because this is a beginners question, but I am trying to get into the business. I have been asked to design some ad samples and the specs are 2c. x 1 7/8", however I do not know what/how to measure 2c. I have been told it is two columns width, however I am starting on a blank page. Is there a way to convert the measurement to inches?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Don't presume column widths to be standard. Call the publication to confirm the actual dimension in inches, or whatever.

Comment

Are you creating ad samples in order to get the job? or are they made up for your portfoilio?

If you are creating something specific for a client in order for them to deside if they even want you to get the job. Then beware!

This is called spec work. Basically if you fall into this trap you will waste hundreds of hours on work that will never pay. Also the client can see the work before a contract and possibly use the ideas without ever telling you.

Contract is best on every single job you do. This protects you and the client as well. There's many threads on here for contracts and people just starting in this business. If you start with good ethical business conduct you will be leeps ahead in your career.

You can read a few articles about spec work here.
      http://no-spec.com/

Welcome to GDF!
      =)
      Jade

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
        Don't presume column widths to be standard. Call the publication to confirm the actual dimension in inches, or whatever.
        I just hate that, when newspapers quote by columns, and won't tell you what a column is to them... grrrr...
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Yikes! Couldn't see the spec request for the specs. Sorry!

Samples? There's a good reason why you can't go into a liquor store, restaurant, jeweller etc. and ask for samples to take home and 'evaluate'.

Would you date someone who asked you to 'put out first, then we'll talk'?

Run away, run away!!
          Last edited by Bob; 06-02-2007, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Yup, that looks like 2 columns to me. Call the newspaper and find out the exact measurement for their 2 columns. Be carefull because 2 columns doesn't always equal to 1 column plus 1 column. Why? because gutters between columns need to be taken into account. Some publications have gutters, some don't.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X