Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
what makes someone pursue graphic design instead of regular illustration Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• rickinsa
    Comment on 7pt. Font size is industry standard for body text?
    rickinsa
    It was more than just putting up with a less knowledgeable person. She wanted to control everything and do it all her way. Much of what she said is so over the top wrong that it just baffles me and tried...
    Today, 08:44 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Some interesting Graphic Design debate discussions?
    MichaelWied
    Cool idea! I'm actually working on a blog myself. Just some advice that was given to me by someone who studies journalism is to have a years worth of content ready. So if it's a weekly blog, have no less...
    Today, 04:41 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    garricks
    I bought a Canoscan based on PrintDriver's recommendation, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a workhorse.
    Yesterday, 11:45 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    PrintDriver
    There aren't that many scanners to choose from any more. I use a Canoscan 8800 and I'd buy another Canoscan in a minute. Good machine.
    Yesterday, 11:39 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Buda
    I would never hand over the work to an untrustworthy client without getting payment. You let this happen.

If you don't have a contract and deposit, take this as an expensive lesson to make...
    Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes someone pursue graphic design instead of regular illustration

a lack of ambition or perhaps lazyness?

ouch. wrong forum buddy
    www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

The want to try other things then just drawing? Or perhaps it is knowing there is more of a chance for you to land a job out there in a wider field? Or perhaps one just likes print and web based stuff more....
      Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I don't think I like you. But I'm so lazy that I won't give it any further thought.
        You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Despite the fact that I am notoriously lazy, this is NOT the reason I choose design over illustration.

You are comparing apples and oranges, short and simple. To be simplistic about it, design is communciation, illustration is art. Although this does not always hold true - I'm just being lazy by using a blanket statement.

Personally, I like the fact that I make completed work, and my work is rarely placed into somebody else's design. I also enjoy the marketing and communication aspects of my job.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I do both. Who you callin' lazy?

Comment

OK I'll play.

Why would someone choose the narrow field of illustration instead of the much broader and deeper field graphic design which encompasses illustration and so much more? Lack of ambition or perhaps laziness?

Comment

troll or someone who wants his homework done for him?

Should I add a poll to the thread?
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Kool
                  OK I'll play.

Why would someone choose the narrow field of illustration instead of the much broader and deeper field graphic design which encompasses illustration and so much more? Lack of ambition or perhaps laziness?
                  you gotta be kidding me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool
                    OK I'll play.

i second that. GD has much more marketing aspect to it, whereas the illustrators are more of a vendor. Not to say most GD's don't illustrate as well, heck I do that too!
                    My Site

Comment

Originally posted by carter the artist
                      i second that. GD has much more marketing aspect to it, whereas the illustrators are more of a vendor. Not to say most GD's don't illustrate as well, heck I do that too!
                      i am talking about learning to actually make pictures of things to be able to render aesthetic images people can empathise with and such. something you chase your entire life

Comment

Originally posted by puppy epidemic
                        something you chase your entire life
                        You have to do that with both. Does working hard for something your whole life make you lazy? I am not following your logic.
                        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                          You have to do that with both. Does working hard for something your whole life make you lazy? I am not following your logic.
                          but i'm talking about illustration. are any of you going to ever paint in the style of the renassiance artists. why the heck wouldnt you its a good thing to pick up. you lack something

Comment

Hey puppy,

I've been drawing since age one, and painting for a long time. I even tried to pursue a fine art career. After realizing that fine art died a long time ago, I took my skills and turned them marketable. I learned how to use the computer as another tool to create artwork that actually sells. I don't understand where you are going with all this, but I'm sure a shrink would tell you that you have mommy issues and possibly inadequacy problems...

(I am not licensed to perform mental diagnosis, I just call them as I see them.)
                            My Site

Comment

Originally posted by puppy epidemic
                              i am talking about learning to actually make pictures of things to be able to render aesthetic images people can empathise with and such. something you chase your entire life
                              I'm a designer who is able to create aesthetic designs people can relate to, something that I will continue to spend my entire life perfecting.

I'm curious why you think design is lazy?
                              __________________________________________________
                              I like to beat up pacifists, because they don't fight back ...

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X