Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logo crispness

hey all
    i made a logo in illy. client likes it. problem is i am trying to resize it and still make it look good for the web. i have sized it the size i like in illy. saved as psd. If i save it at 150 dpi i get great quality, but the image is 2 times too big. if i save it at 72 i get crappy quality and right size. i have tried taking the good quality, flattening it in psd and resizing...but maybe the font used in the art works gets really anti aliased. looks bit blurry. how can i get the crispness found in illy in a size and format for the web. i have attached an example of what happens during my resize process. would really appreciate some help!
    caleb
    Attached Files
    Its not "Mitch-ed" stupid....its Me-Show.

Welcome to the 'new' standard of logo design: the monitor screen.

Ever wonder why you hardly see open style fonts used anymore in new logo designs? Lowest Common Denominator. This is the new design reality.

I'm afraid your best choice is start again with a different font. Or, convince your client it looks great twice as big and is worth the effort to work the pages around that.

Good luck.

Comment

Try doing a save for web out of illustrator to 100% quality jpeg, also check how it looks as a gif or a png. I have noticed sometimes that I need to put my work on a whole pixel (using the transform pallette) to get illustrator to give good save for web results. Otherwise my lovely clean 1px line becomes a blurry 2px line.
      Think of me as programmable soda.
      Tori Amos

Comment

what do you mean by putting your work on a whole pixel?

Comment

Are you previewing the logo at 100% in Photoshop?
          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

yea i am . still messed up. what i need is a way to have it at 150 dpi and the right size. resizing in photoshop adds the antialias mess up. any ideas...or has the open font really screwed me

Comment

I'm not sure why it's not working, then, but when I try to duplicate your steps as you've described it, this is what I get:

I realize I didn't match your typeface exactly, I just grabbed an openface style to see if that was the problem.

Comment

hummm. how did you do that. cause i am not getting anything close to that. i am using castelar. and when i get small gets real messy. and i am not even making it that small....340 x 100 or so.
                c

Comment

I was trying to duplicate your process, so I set the type in Illustrator, exported it as a .PSD file at 150 DPI, RGB, opened that in Photoshop, and changed the resolution to 72, with Bicubic Sharper as the resolution. Then I did a save for web. I used GIF in my example, but basically got the same result out of JPEG, except that the background isn't transparent like it is in the GIF.

Comment

i will have to try bicubic sharpener. didnt play with that. thanks for your time!
                    caleb

Comment

No problem. Although frankly, I don't think your issue is with the interpolation method. It seems like something else might be going on. Your sample image looks like it's been upsampled. So something else is going on.

You're not by any chance upsizing the logo once it's in Photoshop are you? I wouldn't think so, since you've said it's too big when you bring it into Photoshop, but I just thought I'd ask.

If you like, PM me and send me the files (including the fonts) and I can give it a look see. I'm on a Mac, however, so if the fonts are PC only, I might not be able to help you.

Comment

I jujst copy and paste a Smart Object from Illy to Photoshop and you can resize it all you want there.

All hail Smart Objects.

Comment

Is your image that you are resizing indexed colour or RGB or CMYK or what? This could be a colour space issue was my thought. Indexed graphics store less colour than RGB. If you're resizing indexed colour images, convert them into RGB, resize and convert back to indexed colour. If you're trying to resize an rgb image though, just ignore me as this isn't your problem.
                          at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

Coming back to this, sorry. By putting it on the whole pixels I mean set your measurements to pixels and go to the transform box and make sure your graphic isn't sitting at 350.156 or something, make sure it's 350. Or whatever nearest whole pixel.

Also, there is no reason to leave Illy to create web graphics. Here is how I do it:

Copy your finished piece to a new illy file. Draw a box the final size you want the graphic to be. Resize and nudge the graphic around until it sits in the box the way you want it to sit in the final web output image. (This is where you want to set to whole pixels after you are done nudging it around.) Select the box and go to the Object menu and choose "Crop Area" then "Make". Then go to the File menu and choose "Save for Web and Devices". You should be able to output a more than decent web image.
                            Last edited by jessicam; 06-05-2007, 04:48 AM.
                            Think of me as programmable soda.
                            Tori Amos

Comment

why not outline the fonts in illy, and save it as an eps or ai, and open that in photoshop?
                              My Site

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X