Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to buy an LCD monitor

Hello friends,

I need to buy an LCD monitor, I was at the store today and saw them on the display, they have
    the WS and regular ones, I noticed the wide screen stretches images, I wish they had photoshop or something for me to see the difference compared to the regular screen ones. Have you had any problems working on a WS? Are there advantages to having a WS?

The widescreen shouldn't be stretching images as long as the resolution is set to the native resolution of the monitor....which the store display was probably set incorrectly.

Certainly there is an advantage of a widescreen monitor, the additional real estate.

Comment

I like wide screen because I can fit all my palettes on one side easily. It will only stretch your images if you set the screen reolution to stretch.
      Chuck Norris could have found the WMDs

Comment

Things have improved in affordability in LCD/TFTs in the last year. We are looking to replace large CRTs in prepress environment. Money is the issue. Have found one with a sufficiently high native res, [1200x1600], which may do the job. It's the Samsung 204B, and has a 4:3 aspect ratio. It's about $440 here so under $400 in US. It is DVI-D connection, so OK for Mac.
        Things to look for in the specs are:
        -brightness. Make sure it's 250+. 300+ is better.
        -Contrast Ratio. 880:1 or greater is OK.
        -refresh rate is less critical for design, but under 12 ms. is best. Less eye strain. Mac displays are really only re-badged DELLS, from what I can gather.
        EIZO monitors are great, but big bucks.

Comment

Cool , thanks for the great info.

Comment

Originally posted by frailer
            Mac displays are really only re-badged DELLS, from what I can gather.
            EIZO monitors are great, but big bucks.
            There's a bit more to it than that, although the Apple monitors certainly do have premium prices. On the other hand, they're SWOP-certified and worth the extra cost if that's important. If not, the Dells are fairly nice monitors to have.

No kidding on the EIZO...would l-o-o-v-e to have one, but they make Apple look budget.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X