Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

What does 'deep etching' mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does 'deep etching' mean?

Hi There!

A client has requested I put in a quote I'm doing up for them an itemised cost to deep etch approximately 8 head and sholder shots... Problem is, I've no idea what 'deep etch' means!

Is this something to do with how I would prepare the image files to go to prepress for plating? Or is it something I need to ask the printer to include in their quote as an added print process? Or is it some visual style I have the misfortune of know nothing about?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

You are going to have to ask your client. When providing a quote, it's ok to ask the client exactly what process they have in mind.

I've never heard the term applied to print but this is one type I deal with quite often:
    http://www.matthewsbronze.net/techinfo/EP-graphics.htm

Are these memorial plaques? If so, you really need to contact the person doing the etching. Deep etching requires only black and white (high point/low point) artwork. Or line art.

You can do halftone etching but it isn't deep. Deep etching is usually for ADA compliant signage and 'cheap' memorial images. These never look quite right when done with people's faces if done from a photograph. Created using line art is ok but it has to be rather course.

Deep etching can also be done with a laser. In which case you really really need to contact the vendor. You may only need to supply them with a clean grayscale tif and they'll handle the rest based on their laser software.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 06-17-2007, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Since you've mentioned head and shoulder shots, I'm guessing the client wants you to remove the background from the person, so that the images can be composited, or placed on a same background. We used to call this deep etching in Australia many years ago.

m0na

Comment

^^Yeah, I've heard clear-cutting referred to as deep-etching before.

Comment

Ok... at your advise, I asked the client to clarify and it turns out they mean remove the background from the images so everything looks the same. Nice going... thanks for the replies. Appreciate it!

Comment

Sorry Crooked, I didn't even look to see where you were posting from.
            Ignore me. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, we tend to get things a bit mixed up down here sometimes...

Comment

is that why you're avator, frailer, is upside down?
                My Site

Comment

last time i had some deep etching, this stuff worked pretty well...

‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

is that why you're avator, frailer, is upside down?
                    ...yeah, just bein' silly...

To confirm, though, Deep Etch, Down Under, is pretty much "remove background"

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sumon_77
                      What do you guys think about this designe ?
                      sumon_77

What do you guys think about this gig design ?...
                      Today, 06:36 AM
                    • sumon_77
                      Reply to T-shirt designe
                      sumon_77
                      i like it so much....
                      Today, 06:22 AM
                    • MattCarson
                      Reply to Any similar font?
                      MattCarson
                      hello Troep, do you search it in google font? If you are not searched search still now, then do it. I don't tell you that you find that font but I hope you should find a similar one.
                      Today, 04:09 AM
                    • B
                      Reply to Freelancing - Going out on your own
                      B
                      I've always had a side business doing work for various clients, but I've never bitten the bullet and taken the chance of doing it full-time. Honestly, I'm a little envious of you. Good luck!
                      Yesterday, 11:52 PM
                    • Jess_
                      Freelancing - Going out on your own
                      Jess_
                      After 10 years of working for other people as a graphic designer I've decided to go out on my own! I'm not going to to quit my full-time design job until I have everything lined-up but I've made up my...
                      Yesterday, 10:21 PM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X