Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have this problem starting a new job?

I guess this is part rant, part need advice. I just started this new job/internship on Monday and I feel as if everyone is judging and watching me. Maybe I'm becoming paranoid about this but, this is my first agency experience and I'm still trying to adjust my work style to the firm. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I've dealt with evil bosses before and this one is more...direct. Not so much evil but, I finished all of the work that they gave me yesterday and I didn't want to seem like a slacker. I asked if there was anything else that needed to be done and I get about two weeks worth of work and a major campaign to work on (and most of it is due Friday) I am learning a lot but, I get to sit in on strategy meetings and they ask my opinion on things but, I just sort of freeze up. They have really "in your face" personalities which is the total opposite of me. Not that I don't speak up but, in these strategy meetings they are popping out ideas like crazy and I normal work my ideas out on paper first. I feel so overwhelmed and it's only day three and I have a meeting starting in a few hours and it's already 2 in the morning! Agggggghhhh! I'm just the intern!!!

Not to wax unsympathetic, but this is just part of being in the real world. In your career it's probable that you will encounter many personality types and approaches to how things are done. You're going to have to suck it up, to a certain extent.

As an intern, you're not off the mark in thinking that everyone is judging and watching you. This is the way it goes not only for interns but also for the majority of people who are new hires. It's just part of things. The thing you need to try to learn here is to not stress about it.

Best advice I have for you is to realize that this is a learning experience (that's the intern aspect of things), and after this experience you'll have hopefully gained a callous or two and can apply those things to the next job situation you find yourself in.

Good luck!
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

As an intern, you will be watched. But don't let it frighten you into not asking questions. The reason you are being watched is to determine if you know what you are doing and if you don't, that you will ask at the appropriate time, not wait until you're up to your ass in alligators. Once they are confident in your abilities and your judgment the watching will ease up.

Try to participate as much as you can. Is the internship open-ended or are you on term? You are very lucky they are handing you work and including you in meetings. That's great experience! Don't let the pressure get to you. It would be better to sit back in a few meetings and participate only when you are sure of your response but ramp up as soon as you can.

Chucking ideas around quickly is one way of working. I don't know how the dynamic works at your place but a lot of times there is no time to draw concepts out on paper. If you feel more comfortable, bring a pad of paper to your meetings and quickly sketch up your concept if you have trouble verbalizing it. Talk as you draw.

Sounds like you have a great experience opportunity.

Comment

That really help you guys. I have to get ready to go to the next meeting now. I think I'm just trying to stop "buoying" around. Each day it gets a little easier-your right, I just need to set aside my paranoia. It really is a great opportunity so I will soak up as much as I can...while I'm being hazed

Comment

I was under the microscope at my job for the first three months, while I was in the probation period. So I just had to suck it up and act as if no project was too challenging, even if I was scared out of my mind. In doing this I actually wound up pushing myself to my limits and producing some really solid work, stuff that I didn't even know I was capable of. What made it even more difficult is that we are a very small agency with very large clients. All of our accounts are national acounts but we only have 2 designers and an intern, so I was under direct supervision by both the art director and the owner of the agency!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, 1. don't be afraid to ask questions, 2. but don't ask a question until you've first tried to figure it out yourself (so you can say you tried), 3. Act confident in your work, but don't write off those who critique you, 4. try to convince yourself that you can handle whatever they throw at you, because alot of time you will surprise yourself.

Comment

There is no problem with being honest about your limits. If you feel a workload is going to be to much, talk with your sup. to give them a perspective on your abilities. They probably work a lot faster than you do currently, projects that take a few weeks in college you have maybe days to turn around on the job. Speed comes with experience. If this is an internship for school, it’s good that employers are critical because you’ll get graded on the exp, and some wishy washy boss isn’t going to help you develop. My grade for my internship was far more generous than it should have been because they didn’t bear down on me as much as they should have…that why the studio eventually broke up I believe as well, not enough connecting force. Be honest, have fun and know that a studio is just one experience in the design world. Positions like an in-house job are very different, some laid back others high strung. Hell they give us open access to the web, but I still be sure to get my work done and then some.
            Tapp-d
            "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that it sounded like you checked the GDF while at work. Be careful of that. For a couple of reasons.
              1. They may not like you conversing with others during work hours.
              2. They may have their server rigged so IT or some other upper management can check internet activity. My bosses know every time I come here, and they can see what I've written here........

Paranoid?
              Maybe.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM.

Comment

checking gdf at work… thats a no no.

Not even I will do that,lol

Especially if your new or an intern.

- somebody may be watching,lol- plus its bad business practice.

Comment

I checked GDF before I left for work. I don't go on the net at work. I'm not that crazy. (although some may differ)

Comment

I go online at work during my lunch break. And sometimes if it is slow. It's pretty laid back as long as the work is getting done.

Comment

Just give it time. It's awesome that you finished your work quickly. Do you want to work for me?
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Any forum site is a bad thing to be on during work.... or youtube, myspace, etc. lol. especially as an intern!

Comment

Icekitty is right! I'm on here because I'm the senior - ha!

No really, my inexperienced other designer spends a lot of the time looking at auction sites for KISS merchandise. I haven't talked to him about it but it drives me mental. Why am I just so damn passive? I have a feeling that unless I scream at him viewing KISS merch when he's got a pile of work, he's going to keep doing it....or worse, do it more.

Teniworks: As an intern, would you be offended if your senior told you off for looking at internet sites? How would you react?
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

KISS merchandise? As in KISS the band? WTF?
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Yes as in KISS the band! He was looking at a massive KISS watch when I spied on him. Who wears KISS watches these days? Maybe it's a collectors thing...I don't know many 24 year old that are KISS fans but this guy is special.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X