X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table of Contents Dots?

I was wondering if someone could name this typographic element. It appears usually in Table of Contents where there are dots that lead from the section title to the page number. It is similar to a Right Indent Space (InDesign) with periods to fill in the space. Can anyone tell me what these are called and if possible, how to do them in InDesign? Thanks in advance.
    Joe Mallette
    Element 13

you can do it by typing a period in the "leader" box of the tab palette
    portfolio | daily image | reffee

Comment

They are called... dots!

I know in Quark it is under Formats / Page Attributes and there is a fill in the blank section called Fill Characters You just type in your "." or what ever you choose to make it (it can be numbers, spaces, under scores). Then when you hit tab and it tabs over to your tab mark it fills it with that fill character.

Here's a screen cap fomr the document I had open that has them.

That is in Quark. But I am sure InDesign is similar...
      Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Would you have any idea why I would not find dots when I add a period into the Right-Justified Tab arrow's leader box?
        Joe Mallette
        Element 13

Comment

i think you have to enter a value for 'X'

Comment

That worked perfectly. Good to know they are called Leaders. Thanks for the help.
            Joe Mallette
            Element 13

Comment

np, glad i could help

Comment

Hey Element! I'm from St. Kitts too.

Comment

Leader dots are handy indeed. You don't want to know how I did pages and pages of contents pages before I found the option under tabs. Oh, I bet you can guess how!
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Join the club, Buda! But bear in mind this is a secret club which we tell no one we're in.....you know, because we wouldn't want them to join... Right?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X