Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• lifestylere
    Lifestyle is the Name - Montague Script is the Font...
    lifestylere
    Lifestyle is the Name - Montague Script is the Font - The L is the problem

Ok so Montague Script is the font except the F thats Hiatus both by the same designer Stephen Rapp

Today, 11:02 PM
  • it52
    Reply to Logo Design for upscale eyeglass store
    it52
    Thanks for clarifying.

I guess for me I've done logotypes before so a part of me wanted to do something different for myself but I realize I was too focused on one idea and not letting it...
    Today, 10:51 PM
  • <b>
    <b>
    What sorts of things can be associated with eye care? Actual things, like eye charts and tears? More abstract things, like clarity and focus? Or maybe even concepts like beauty and style? There are lots...
    Today, 09:42 PM
  • it52
    it52
    I have noticed other logos used an eye but I thought the way I used the P and S made it stand out among it's competition. I chose avant garde because I thought it wouldn't look dated. I'm curious why...
    Today, 09:13 PM
  • <b>
    <b>
    Using Avant Garde type might have been a route to looking upscale back in the 1970s, but today it mostly looks dated.

Making an eye out of the P & S is a nice idea, but until I read your...
    Today, 09:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giclee in the GTA

I know there are a few designers in and around the GTA. Do any of you know of a decent printer that can do giclee prints. Preferrably the west side of the GTA. (yellow book search was useless)

My cousin's wife has some paintings on canvas that she wants to sell and needs prints of.

I don't want to exclude anyone so if any of you have questions I should be asking these printers feel free to speak up. Except for what I searched and read on this site I know little about it.

Thanks in advance.

emucru, GTA=Toronto ? ( I obviously hail from another part of the world )

I would ask printers to describe what clients they have worked with. The giclee process, as you may very well know, is often used to produce collector's prints by museums and galleries. The higher the client's connoisseurship, the higher the demand in quality product.

If you do live in Toronto, I would even call Stephen Bulger Gallery to ask what local printers, if any, they have dealt with. They can at least point you in the right direction. You can also research additional galleries through artnet:

http://www.artnet.com/net/galleries/...mber_galleries

Hope this is helpful !
    "I don't get much exercise.
    Well... except for the occasional anxiety attack."

Comment

hey i'm from the GTA, but sorry, can't help you, i don't even know what a giclee print is
      portfolio | daily image | reffee

Comment

I don't live in Canada, but here's what giclee printing is 2 toe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclee
        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd actually suggest you contact galleries showing giclee prints and ask which printers they recommend. A lot of printers say they print giclee quality but for what you pay for the name, you better be sure it's the best. You can get the same quality as giclee by asking a reputable printer for archival quality art prints...
          Buyer beware. Both the artist and the person buying the prints.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

PD what are archival quality art prints?

Comment

giclees.

Or it least it better be what someone calls a giclee. But as soon as you say the word 'giclee' the price jumps 25% or more.

You need archival quality substrate to start. This can be a variety of things from paper to textured art canvas. It generally needs to be matched to certain printers and their inks.

Pigmented inks last longer than dye inks, so you want to verify pigment. Pigment inks have a smaller color gamut than dye inks but they have been improving that steadily.

Some of the newer high-res printers are solvent based. I've found these a little bit more moisture forgiving than aqueous inkjet prints. However I have not had the time to dig up the latest Wilhelm reports on the new printers. Some are touting tests of 200 years at 400lux-12hourdays... yeah, right.

Anyone that considers doing Fine Art Giclee prints should know what a Wilhelm report is and have an idea what they want to order.

Giclee does NOT apply to photographic, continuous tone, fine art prints. These are produced using lasers and standard developing chemicals. They also can be archival or not.

Comment

Great info. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                  I'd actually suggest you contact galleries showing giclee prints and ask which printers they recommend.
                  One quick add to this:
                  I mentioned Artnet before, but another good place to start is AIPAD:

http://www.aipad.com

Members are established art dealers and they would be a good resource for you in this project. A quick call can save you much time in on-line research through various galleries' inventory.

Comment

I never knew what Giclee prints were and I do them all the time at work. We just call them inkjet prints
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

<--- old dog ^^New Trick.

buda, you should upcharge your inkjets and sell them at that fancy schmantzy rich people thingie!
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

To add to PD's explanation of archival, the papers they are printed on need to be of archival or museum quality as well. What that means is they need to be acid free, as the acids in papers will severely yellow the paper, discolor pigments, paints, inks, and become so brittle they can no longer be handled without disentegrating. Think of old newspapers and how fragile they become in a short amount of time.

That's why in museums, curators and conservation/ restoration workers will wear gloves. Too many oils on the skin, etc. However, spit is archival.

Comment

Originally posted by Tea
                          However, spit is archival.
                          LOL ! Does that still hold after a steak lunch ?

Comment

LOL @ Buda. Yes they are just simple inkjet prints but run at the slowest, finest quality the printer will go and with archival materials (inks, media)

Giclee isn't necessarily printed on just paper. I know several artists who use the Frederick's canvas line. $$$. It's archival too. There are a few other lines out there too.

The main culprits in degradation of prints are ozone and light. That's why Wilhelm tests are done under glass and under measured light. Believe it or not, prints will fade in the dark as well. Wilhelm does dark-fading tests on many media sometimes with surprisingly reversed results.

A matched system can't be stressed enough. This includes mounting substrates and overlams if used.

Comment

So if I get archival paper and ink for my inkjet, it's a Giclee?

The Epson 7600 will also be used to produce gicl&#233;e prints by artists and photographers who are just starting into this business. The ability of all Epson printers to accept the thick water color papers has endeared this name brand to artists across America and Canada.
                              Last edited by Buda; 02-01-2008, 12:01 AM.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X