• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dumb contest

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/tcontest

Your Reward:
    1st Place Winner:
    Worldwide recognition for designing the official Firefox 3 T-Shirt featured in the Mozilla Store.
    A free Firefox 3 T-Shirt to show off your winning design.
    $250 gift voucher to Amazon.com.

4 runners up:
    A free Firefox 3 T-Shirt with the winning design.
    A $50 gift voucher to Amazon.com.
    Pathetic.
    pas·sion
    If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
    -T. Alan Armstrong

I think the site point contests are more pathetic. I think the guy who wrote the article for contests on sitepoint is even more pathetic than that, but… who am I judge.

Comment

If you feel that Firefox provides you with a decent piece of software for no cost, what is wrong with them holding a contest for a T-Shirt. They are virtually non-profit.
      edit: Mozilla IS a non-profit organization.

Take off your NO!Spectacles once in a while.

Comment

Good point PrintDriver. When I first herad about the contest I was a dissapointed in Mozilla. But after reading your post I have to concur.
        Am I crazy...or am I so sane I just blew your mind?

Comment

I change my mind now too. Mozilla are a great non-profit and I do love them.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
            hey are virtually non-profit.
            edit: Mozilla IS a non-profit organization.
            A no profit that made 66 million dollars off of giving their software away for free

Mitchell Baker, the chief executive of Mozilla Corporation, has blogged that Mozilla's 2006 revenues were $66 million, mostly (85%) from Google
            Who knew using that google search bar netted Firefox so much money.
            Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
            http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love the runner up prize! Why on earth would you want a t-shirt with a design that beat yours? Congratulations you're a loser!
              I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Originally posted by cjoe
                I love the runner up prize! Why on earth would you want a t-shirt with a design that beat yours? Congratulations you're a loser!
                Now thats funny...lol

Comment

You beat me to it!!
                  Can have your t-shirt!!

Comment

He said revenue, not profit. They must be able to turn it around on the spreadsheet somehow to maintain their NP status.

And hey, you can use your losing $50 Amazon gift to purchase books on design.

Comment

You gotta love a country where you can be classified as a non-profit but are allowed to retain a 13 million dollar rainy day fund. I think they can afford a slightly better first prize

The organization had cash and equivalents of $13.2m at the end of 2006, with no pressure to invest it or return it to shareholders. As Mozilla’s financial FAQ for 2006 states: “We have significant retained earnings, which allows us a good degree of flexibility… First, the cash reserve is of course a form of insurance against the loss of income. We will continue to maintain enough of a reserve to allow us flexibility in making product decisions.”
                      I don't think T-shirt contests like this one is an attempt to save money by bypassing professional designers. I think it's more of a way to make their customers/users to participate and feel closer to the company.
                      Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                      http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

haha!

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with this one, except they are keeping all the copyrights.
                          Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                            He said revenue, not profit. They must be able to turn it around on the spreadsheet somehow to maintain their NP status.

And hey, you can use your losing $50 Amazon gift to purchase books on design.
                            Correction: purchase A BOOK on Amazon. Design books are heinously expensive...unless you're getting a little pocket reader type of thing.

Comment

Buy them used.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X