Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Here is a hot topic, why include or not include your picture on your site Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• SamBlairParker
    Comment on New Personal Identity
    SamBlairParker
    I designed the one titled "screen shot 2014" Bonnaroo_logo was not designed by me, clearly. I have posted that image so that users can give me an honest opinion of whether or not it's too similar...
    Today, 05:05 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Serid and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to New Personal Identity
    KitchWitch
    Hi Sam and welcome to GDF.

Did you design this logo?

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few...
    Today, 04:50 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Silverlight
    <b>
    Now that Ballmer is gone, it's perfectly safe to do so without feeling like you've invited the loud, sweaty lunatic neighbor family down the street into your house....
    Today, 03:50 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    garricks
    I immediately thought of Apple's "Think Different." campaign tag. I vote to keep it.
    Today, 01:26 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a hot topic, why include or not include your picture on your site

Here is a hot topic, why include or not include your picture on your site?

Some might say it helps the prospect to get an idea of your personality
    others say it might show that your just a one man/woman show, specailly if you write "we" on your site.

What do you think are the pro's and con's in doing this?

Privacy? self confidence?

Love to hear your input.

In most instances, I think it's tacky to include a photo of yourself on sales material. Unless you're already famous (and thus your image becomes a selling point) or a model or actress where your looks are a deciding factor for a casting director or talent agency, I don't see why it it would be there. I've never understood the whole real estate profession's narcissistic obsession with plastering agents' photos all over their business cards, etc. I don't care what you look like, just sell me a damn house.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I think it's a cheap sell out, but I would consider it. I am getting pretty desperate... maybe I should do this and then send my things out to all male dominated companies to I can get a job finally, I would like to think I am easy on the eyes...

Comment

I don't think it's really a "hot" topic.

I agree with Virgo, it seems rather tacky and vain. I mean, are you selling your design services, or "other" services? If you're selling your design services, it doesn't really matter what you look like, does it? Let your work speak for yourself. Do you think that someone is going to hire you based on your looks instead of your knowledge? If so, you might be in the wrong line of work.

Also, it's not necessarily wise to post a photo of yourself along with your name, address and phone number online... you can end up with stalkers and all sorts of unpleasantness.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

interesting point friends

Comment

are you going to post YOUR thoughts, bejamshi?

Comment

Ive seen a lot of designers render neat pics of themselves (PLEASE dont take your photo and put 16 PS filters on it, thats not what I'm talking about)

I mean using your picture as part of your identity. Someone in my class
              made their portriate in Illy, looked great, put it on her business cards and such. Showed off her pen tool skills and people could look at her resume/business card and remember her visually from her interview. Another kid in my class did her face out of typeography, that was neat too.

but no, i wouldnt just slap my pic on everything. Unless I become a used car salesman or real extate agent. then i think you are required to.
              www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

A picture of myslef and my minions is on my website. But its an Easter Egg.
                "Here lies Spug. He never tried an avocado"

Comment

I put my picture as big as I can on my web site, that way everyone sees how big the picture is and says, "Wow, what a big picture. This guy must be important. We need to hire him right away!"

Comment

I would never do it. I think it looks cheesy and retarded, especially since everyone picks the 'nice picture of themselves' to post up... Of course that picture was 10-15 years ago and they look NOTHING like it anymore. It only shows how old they really are.
                    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

there are people out there who prejudiced based on age (an employer several years ago told me after an interview that I had a solid resume and seemed very knowledgeable but she was looking for someone older), sex, race and any number of other things. Some people hate long hair on a man, or tattoos, or they might not like your taste in clothing. If they like your work and don't know what you look like, it won't come up... but if you post a picture of yourself on your website, those people may just move along without even taking a look at your portfolio because something about your physical appearance turned them off.

Now, you could say that you don't want those people as clients anyway, but most of us can't afford to turn away paying customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Spunky Nerd
                        I would like to think I am easy on the eyes...

this is useless without pics.
                        Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Spunky Nerd
                          I think it's a cheap sell out, but I would consider it. I am getting pretty desperate... maybe I should do this and then send my things out to all male dominated companies to I can get a job finally, I would like to think I am easy on the eyes...
                          as I mentioned in another thread, be very careful with this kind of thinking. It can lead you into all sorts of bad places, like setting yourself up to be sexually harassed (read: hostile work environment) or stalked.

If you go about it the wrong way and your application lands in the hands of a female hiring manager who recognizes this tactic and is not amused, it could easily backfire.

If you're a qualified applicant, you'll find a job on your own merits. Don't make it about your appearance.

(Edit: This attitude contributes to the stereotype that female employees are not actually *qualified* for their jobs, but get there by sleeping with the right people or shoving their breasts in people's faces. As a hard-working female employee, I find that rather offensive.)
                          Last edited by morea; 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                            as I mentioned in another thread, be very careful with this kind of thinking. It can lead you into all sorts of bad places, like setting yourself up to be sexually harassed (read: hostile work environment) or stalked.

If you go about it the wrong way and your application lands in the hands of a female hiring manager who recognizes this tactic and is not amused, it could easily backfire.

If you're a qualified applicant, you'll find a job on your own merits. Don't make it about your appearance.

(Edit: This attitude contributes to the stereotype that female employees are not actually *qualified* for their jobs, but get there by sleeping with the right people or shoving their breasts in people's faces. As a hard-working female employee, I find that rather offensive.)
                            This too, is useless without pics.
                            Last edited by morea; 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM.
                            "What the hell is this? You said, 'It's art. Just f***in mirror it.'" - Gordon Downie

Comment

Just wondering...who is actually arguing that having your picture on your own marketing materials is a good idea. I don't think I've ever had this debate with someone because most people agree that a headshot does not add anything to the portfolio.

The only people I've seen adding their photos to their marketing materials are real estate agents. Its always going to look cheesy no matter how its done.
                              Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X