Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What's the difference between graphic designer and graphic artist? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to EFI printers? Anyone have any experience?
    Cosmo
    We saw one run at a place we visited a few months back. It was running board (which is the vast majority of what we would be running) and we were very happy with what was coming off of it as well as the...
    Today, 12:10 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Moving text background
    KitchWitch
    Hi Fstenbergp and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 11:57 AM
  • fstenbergp
    Moving text background
    fstenbergp
    Hello GDF!

I would like to make some moving effects on the attached file if you may say so.

What I am wishing to do is create a perfect looping gif, where the text moves in...
    Today, 11:53 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    skribe
    Welcome design square!

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.
    Today, 11:27 AM
  • Kim
    Reply to How to start a proffesional "Name-Label-stickers" business?
    Kim
    Thanks for your time and answers.

As I said, I am COMPLETELY new and know nothing about how to make name labels and what equipment to use for this purpose.
    Do anybody know a guide...
    Today, 10:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between graphic designer and graphic artist?

What is the difference between a graphic designer and a graphic artist?

I'm a little lost as to what it might be.

Is there a big difference? Is there none at all? Will the next person to post only put "One gets paid less"?

i think they go pretty much hand in hand. if i was looking for a job i would look at posts with either title.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

one wears flip flops, the other wears sandals.
      www.standercreative.com

Comment

I'm not really sure what I base this on, but my internal definition says that if there is any real difference, it's that graphic artist could be construed as a broader category and could encompass more than traditional typography + imagery based design.

Mostly though I'd say it's the same thing and depends pretty much on what the company chooses to call the position.

Your question did prompt me to wonder if any of the fine folks here prefer to classify themselves as graphic artists as opposed to designers and why.

Comment

Though most don't know it there is a difference, at least here in Canada. The difference is money. And is more for employers than for employees on gauging what to pay scales to pay.

Graphic artists tend to make less and are typically in screen print shops, manufacturing, and production type jobs.

Graphic Designer minimum pay starts where Graphic Artist tends to peak.
          More jobs of design firms, marketing, corporatate etc etc.

This is not written in stone and I am sure there are many exceptions....but from an employers point of view its a classification on gauging wages to certain job descriptions based on an industry standard.
          "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

i go by graphic designer because my BA is in graphic design

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

when I think graphic artist I think old school pre computer days. When graphic arts were mainly executed with traditional media (clay, paint, etc) Thats just me though.
              hi there I am bored.

Comment

We have 'creative artists' and 'creative designers' here. The latter is the lower tier position usually involving Quark usage only, laying out articles and stories and building really basic advertisements or classified ads. Us artists do a lot more conceptual work, break out the rest of the programs (PS, Illy, hopefully someday Indy...and in my case, Flash).

Comment

We are refered to as both artists and designers at my company. So they go hand in hand, meaning the same thing. It just depends on who is speaking about us.

That's really interesting, Danger Mouse about the differences in Canada.

Comment

The only difference is the pronunciation.
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Tee
                      We are refered to as both artists and designers at my company. So they go hand in hand, meaning the same thing. It just depends on who is speaking about us.

That's really interesting, Danger Mouse about the differences in Canada.
                      I don't know if that is true for all of Canada because I have never heard of that. Canada's a big country, so it might be true in a region of the country but not in others. I call myself a designer because of the same reasons that marshdesign said. Graphic Artist sounds so old-school to me. My job description when I first started at my company was "Layout Artist". I am in a different position in the same company and am now called a "Specialty Products Designer". Same job with more responsibility, creativity and flexibility, but at the core the same function.

I'm not sure if it is not more of a preference on what you call yourself these days or if there truly is a difference.

I would throw it out there for debate (not saying I agree, just throwing it out there) that a Graphic Artist is someone that actually creates artwork ( doesn't use clip art but instead draws his own elements) and a Graphic Designer takes existing artwork (clipart, photos, etc) and creates a piece of work based on those elements.

Comment

I wonder when the word 'designer' will be considered 'old-school'? (Has it already started?) I suspect that many other design professions (architecture, industrial design, interior) are already resenting the broadness of that term-- maybe because it tend to lump them all in, publicly, with us, the 'uncertified', poorly paid, and much abused bottom of the 'design' skill market.

Comment

How about we adopt the title 'Graphist'? is there already another definition?

...or how 'bout, 'Aesthetic Technician'?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Comment

Hmmm. Well, there was talk of our positions being called "Graphic Consultants", which was very quickly stamped into the ground by us. Being called a consultant is certainly a slap in the face I think. With our profession having so many lines blurred these days, I find it hard to distinguish between hacks and "designers" anymore anyway.

Comment

"Being called a consultant is certainly a slap in the face I think."

How so? Most of the consultants I know these days make a helluva lot more bucks and get more respect than the staff they're commissioned to consult with. Which brings up the point that it doesn't really matter what they're willing to call you as much as it's what they're willing to pay you. Call me anything you want, just make the cheque bigger... really.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X