Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Gwishin
    Portfolio advice/criticism
    Gwishin
    Hey guys!

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some feedback and advice/crticism about my "work". Im very curious about what you guys think, specially the ones of...
    Today, 04:47 AM
  • crdunsto
    Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    I'm applying to several colleges over the break (SVA, MICA, Memphis, MCAD, SCAD, FIT, Parsons), and need advice on how to reference my freelance work from late 2012 up to now.

Name of Organization...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to Law Firm Website Redesign
    FredBouffard
    Your website will always reflect the kind of business you offer so it is just in time that you update your client's website. I like the large header, but the text on the upper portion of it looks dated....
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    FredBouffard
    Looks like a bull right but it needs a little bit of polishing and enhancements. Bulls have basically long, curved very pointed horns so you can work on that. And maybe fiercer eyes....
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • HotButton
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    HotButton
    "but I have always been led to believe that the degree isn't as important as talent/know-how in graphic design..."

Here, without a degree, it's not likely anyone will ever know...
    Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG how to take client's "design" and make it look nice...

I don't know WHAT the deal is lately but I have several clients who actually hire me and pay me to "design" something that they've already done. Either they send me a Photoshop mockup of what they want (and don't want me to change), or they sketch it out on paper. On in particular is driving me nuts. She wants me to design it exactly like she has laid out on paper, and I swear to you it looks like a 10 year old sketched something out. She is one of my biggest clients, not only financially, but also as in visual- as in, tons of other clients have seen my work on her website and LOVE it.... so how do I now design something that looks like **CRAP** and make it look good?
    --
    When I buy stickers for folks in prison, I bring milk not backyard meth - it's a prison party!

Here's what it currently looks like:

Keep in mind it used to look even better but she wanted that font/logo in the front there and some of that other stuff....

Here's how she wants it....

with no background or border or anything......... and her exact words were: "remember to keep it simple. don't over-complicate what i sent you. that is exactly the way i want it."
    --
    When I buy stickers for folks in prison, I bring milk not backyard meth - it's a prison party!

Comment

Perhaps you can show her exactly how hers looks and then do an option or 2 of how you would handle it. I think if she saw what you did she would recognize the improvement.

Just keep it simple like she asked.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

good god.

have you tried maybe keeping your design, and trying to incorporate some of her pieces into it? you'll probably have to shift things around.

and that type effect is nice on the logo, but i'd avoid it on the body copy below the logo. it gets a little hard to read at that smaller size.
        Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Craig -- lol, I wouldnt even know HOW to make hers look the way it does, other than scanning the stupid thing....

mojo-- thats what I mean. I had a different text (actual TEXT) there and she wanted it w/ the same font/style as the logo. //sigh///
          --

Comment

yikes. i'd agree with craig. do your take on her concept, and see how it goes.
            Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

True. it would be funny to put things in crooked like what she sent

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Sorry I was unable to implement your project exactly as you've specified. Very few browsers support the Stinks Outloud plugin.

Comment

I would just start with the basics and you really will have a hard time winning against this client. I would just do it more professional. Make the text like its burnt or carved into the wood. Use a more appriotate western type font. Maybe Even use real would instead of fake stuff. I do not like redoing what customers want exactly but its the name of the game sometime. You just need embellish what she did in a more creative way. I have one customer that send me something that her head office did and just says recreate it but do it in you style but keep the same principle. It sucks because i am not being all that creative but the money is sweet and i invest little time in doing it and she is always happy.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian
                    Sorry I was unable to implement your project exactly as you've specified. Very few browsers support the Stinks Outloud plugin.
                    BAhahahaaha!!

Comment

Ask her to sign a waiver absolving you for all responsibility on the outcome;something that states the website was "designed" this way to the client's specification, and against the advice of a professional designer. AND- designer is not obligated to make changes free of charge when client sees the full horror of this live on the web! Maybe ask if you could submit it to the Web Pages That Suck website rather than including it in your portfolio? You have my sympathy!

Comment

Originally posted by mojoprime
                        yikes. i'd agree with craig. do your take on her concept, and see how it goes.
                        <---playing Devil's Advocate for a moment.

If you do your take on her concept, isn't that like doing the work on spec? As an in-house guy, I could get away with it because I'm paid salary no matter what I'm working on. But if you're doing this as a freelance job, can you rightfully charge her for the time you spend doing it "your way" only to have her reject it as "not what she asked for?"

I think doing it her way (as professionally as possible), and showing her how sucky it looks, might work better. Especially if, during that meeting, you then sketch some thumbnails of how you would improve it, explaining why while you go.
                        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Gah!

That's all.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" ľ Winnie the Pooh

Comment

This is looks like the start of a bad contest: Who can design the best worst webpage.

I definitely do not envy you here. It could be worse, sort of, she could have no idea what she wants and then just make endless revisions until it eventually looked like that
                            Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

Originally posted by NTLemon
                              This is looks like the start of a bad contest: Who can design the best worst webpage.

I definitely do not envy you here. It could be worse, sort of, she could have no idea what she wants and then just make endless revisions until it eventually looked like that
                              Except I get paid per hour as per our contract ....
                              --

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X