X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio Theme Help!

Hello! I am in my final quarter of an advertising design program and we are putting together our portfolios. We are to create a flash portfolio and are to also create a design kit. The theme is to go throughout the flash portfolio, design kit, resume, cover letter, etc... Obviously probably every design has a theme, but I am stuck. Mainly because out design kit needs to basically be created and still relate to the theme. The idea I would love to use it like dripping paint. However my teacher basically bashed it because he doesn't think I could do an excellent job with the design kit. I was planning on using a paint can and using spray paint to create the drips... and for my portfolio to go within it I was going to use the form of paint swatches, with a swatch on one side and my work on the other making a sort of booklet... but it would leave the paint can kinda empty and my classmates have said it would look kind of childish walking into an interview with a paint can. If anyone has any other ideas or ways I could go about this that would be sweet... As a design I can take everything with a grain of salt so don't hesitate to bash my idea (my teacher already did!). Well thanks to anyone who read this and comments, I know its kinda long

You'll probably find that people are not too keen on helping with homework/assignments since that is your job as a student. As a teacher, I actually tell my students to bounce ideas off of people because they are high school and they still do not have enough life experiences to quickly generate ideas. At your level(assuming this is a post-secondary school), you should be generating ideas on your own.

Did you discuss your idea in detail with your professor? I think the paint can idea has been used before for other things, so he/she may be coming from that angle.

Comment

Not that I want to bash the paint drip idea, but as a thematic element it has been done to death.

Why not come up with something totally original to showcase the creative thinker you are? The theme you come up with should be a reflection of you and your design style. Do you have an edgy style? A clean contemporary style? Traditional? No frills? Lots of photography? The theme you come up with should be your own idea though, there's not a whole lot we can do to help there.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I would suggest making your portfolio representative of you and your work FIRST! Stop thinking about what will be accepted, and start thinking about you. People might love what you do, but if they don't like you, they will most likely not employ you.

Make something that is going to display you and your creative style... if you do, "they" won't be the only ones who are happy... you will be too.

Good Luck!

(the cnic bank account = two cents less)
        CNIC - noun [see - nick]
        1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
        2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
        3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
        For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

If the object of this class is to create the portfolio that you will show prospective employers, keep that in mind as well. Consider those you want to work for. Do some online searching, see what their studio websites are like. I'm not saying to copy their websites but you may want to cater to a look that will get you hired where you dream to be hired. A drippy paint bucket wouldn't even get you hired here for the paint department...

There is "cute" and there is "too cute".

Just my $.02

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X