Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for using internet images???

Say I find an image on the internet at a wallpaper site

Then I use part or most of that image in a design.....

Do I have to make reference to whoever created it, even if I can't find that person's name?

What are the unwritten/written rules on using images found throughout the internet in your own work?

You can't use a wallpaper image in a design without first ASKING the person it belongs to. They own the copyright. You don't even have to be making money on the design.

Taking any image from anyone's site and using it in your own work without permission is a copyright infringement.

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

^^ what PD said ^^!!

Boobie Island or Bust!
      I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

Gotcha.

My friend wanted me to change around this wallpaper for him, wanted me to change colors and make it smaller

Comment

ToeJam said...

What are the unwritten/written rules on using images found throughout the internet in your own work?
          Bottom line is this is copyright infringement...but to answer your question further, you can go to:

H.R. 2281 ' The Digital Millennium Copyright Act'

or

THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE UNDER UNITED STATES COPYRIGHT LAW

www.vikianderson.com
          Graphics & Design on Demand

Post Edited (Vikia) : 10/21/2004 1:43:22 PM GMT
          Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
          Through the Looking Glass

Comment

the other thing is if you don't have any money nobody is going to sue you!
            Morally though I would not use it.

Comment

It's a really good way to permanently damage your reputation.
              'Attaching' wages would suck too if someone decided to pursue you zealously.

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

Since we're on the topic, I noticed this copyright for alawnmower company concerning the use of their content. Notice the first and second paragraphs "Copyright" and"Trademarks" sounds basically normal, but thethird paragraph "Using our website"is new to me. http://www.grasshoppermower.com/03/services/legal.html From what I understand is, the content can be used as long as it's for or by non-commercial services and uses? correct me if I'm wrong. Is this a normal copyright law for many businesses/companies?
                Allergic to Convention!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X