Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Cosmo
    I think there's way too much going on. If you are going to do the honeycomb thing with the photos, I'd almost be tempted to do it in black and white or monotone of a color. It's just too busy as it i...
    Today, 08:41 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Cosmo
    I would lose the borders on each cell of the table. Maybe make them a tint of the green background. You could alternate tints to give them definition. Or give them just a slight border.
    Today, 08:40 PM
  • wutanutmeg
    Business Card Critique
    wutanutmeg
    Hi all,

I would love some critiques on my business card design for freelance work.

Here is the front and back of it. The images are samples of my Photography work. I didn't put...
    Today, 08:24 PM
  • ralfcaetano
    in need of urgent help
    ralfcaetano
    Hi everyone my name is Ralf Caetano and i'm studying multimedia... i'm ending my course but my internship isn't going really well... if you guys could help me out i'd apreciate it... besides making a...
    Today, 07:48 PM
  • Saleee
    New design lover here
    Saleee
    Hi all.Im Sasa.Im new here.I love graphic design so im really glad that i found this awesome forum.
    Today, 07:42 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Resolution from 72 to 300

If I have a design that is at 72 dpi, and I would like to print it, so I would change the dpi in the adjustments in photoshop to 300 to an image, will it become pixalized when printed? Like, does it really change the look when printed when you make it 300dpi?
    For example, the original size for:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/estheti...94418/sizes/o/

Thanks !

Yep!!
    You are basically trying to add information that isn't there.
    Images that are made up of pixels (small squares of colour) can only be resized smaller.

Comment

What size (mm) will the final image be?
      What printer are you using?
      Is this for your use or professionally?

Comment

If the the 72ppi image dimensions are about 4.1 x the dimensions of the print dimensions then you can change the resolution without any loss of quality. Otherwise, you will probably lose a noticeable amount of quality. It would depend on whether the image is close to 4.1 x the output dimensions. The closer to that ratio the less loss of quality.
        Last edited by tZ; 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

sorry i kinda dont get that @ tz. so what does the mean x_x

Comment

4.1 times

If you have an image that is 1200 x 1200 @ 72ppi you may can increase the resolution to 300ppi without any/much loss of quality, but the dimensions will become 300 x 300 or close to it rounding down. If you have an image that is 1in x 1in at 72ppi then in order to print at 300dpi the image would need to become .25in x .25in rounding down.
            Last edited by tZ; 10-14-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

DPI stand for dots per inch.... So if you change something that has 72 dots per inch to 300, there are going to be 228 dots missing in every inch.

Think of a 1 inch long line made up of 72 dots, if you keep it one inch long, but reduce the size of the dots so that 300 will now fit in the same space, maybe you can visualise all the missing information. You would have to shrink it down to about 1/4 the size to keep the quality. If you want to keep it the same size, you will need to fill in the gaps.

Photoshop will try to emulate the missing information, and does ok to a point, but there is only so far you can stretch something before the loss in quality is noticeable.

Comment

I have had some success with using Alien Skin's BlowUp software, but that was for very large format printing and that is seen from a distance anyway, yours may look fine with the software but who knows.

How large are your going to print this?
                Dribbble Page
                Behance Portfolio
                Linkedin Profile

Comment

slightly off topic, but i have to know.

at the risk of going out on a limb here, i have a question. that's a nice looking image. did you build it, or create it? i mean, did you use a brush and create the smoke effects on the far left and right of the images, and then use a paint spatter brush in the background, or did you take a few bezier curves, blur and glow them, and then make the design?

no big deal, i'm just curious.
                  Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I'm curious what it says. Esoteric? The type is really hard to read.
                    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

It'll be even harder to read if interpolated...
                      No one mentioned that he should have the resampling box unchecked initially. That will give the best indication of where his image is going to go.
                      Linky:
                      http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/ar...I_resizing.htm
                      Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

so whats the use of unchecking the resampling box? so it will print the same when printed if it was 72 or 300 dpi?

and since you can print a 72dpi image, it still can print nicely if its big in dimentions right?

and so you can't really tell the difference from a 72 and 300 dpi image when printed?

So if the image properties says
                        W: 18.972 in
                        H: 10.667 in
                        Resolution: 72

and I turn i change the resolution to 300,
                        W: 18.972 in
                        H: 10.667 in
                        Resolution: 300

they wil basically print the same?

but when I change the resolution to 300 and also uncheck resample image and it turns into this, it will print smaller?:
                        W: 4.553
                        H: 2.56
                        Resolution: 72

sorry im really confused sorry

Comment

Lets pretend you have a straight black like that is 1 meter long and 1 pixel in thickness at 72 resolution.

If you turn that line into a 300 resolution 1 meter long line you'll end up with a DASHED line since 228 pixels have no color information to fill in.

Now if you had that 1 meter line (100 cm ) and turned that into a quarter of a meter (25 cm) at 300 resolution you'd have a unbroken line at 300 resolution with no loss of quality.

Basically. You can't add resolution to a image and have it stay at the same size without losing quality. Resolution only works one direction.

To give you an idea what it would look like just remember what old 8-bit video games were like. You'd end up with something like that if you went from 72 up to 300 resolution. Mario here will illustrate my point of what your image will turn into if you dont shrink it.

all your lines will look like this

Comment

Unchecking the image resampling box will show you what the actual dimensions of the printed image will be when printed at 300 dpi.

Imagine, if you will, that you have a photo, and access to a copier. If you copy that image at its actual size, you'll more or less get the same quality (factoring in the quality of the copier, of course). If you blow that image up on the copier, say 400%, you'll get a fuzzy copy. It's the same basic principle.
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBrie View Post
                              I'm curious what it says. Esoteric? The type is really hard to read.
                              Yup, it says Esoteric. I read it in the image title.
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X