Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    DanCMU
    The period, to me, makes it more of an assertion rather than a suggestion. I know that's not what that's used for (technically speaking) but it makes it pack a little more punch.

I vote to...
    Today, 11:03 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    PrintDriver
    What's a selfie?
    Just kidding.
    Narcissistic for the most part, more fleeting than a hashtag in general, and somehow people think they can make social statements with them. Society has become...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership Required for Success?

I was just wondering who was a member of AIGA, how you have benefited from it, and if it is worth having a membership. I have been to the site and they have the most generic explanation possible for joining, mentioning something about intangible benefits too good to pass up or something. What perks are there? How much is it rewarded when looking for a job? I kind of want to rebel against the system of memberships and not join, but if it can harm my career I am not sure I should do that just yet. Any info?

It's probably the same as any other association: no real benefit, something to put among your credentials and an opportunity to attend overpriced seminars.
    "What the hell is this? You said, 'It's art. Just f***in mirror it.'" - Gordon Downie

Comment

To this forum? Yes.
      Less be more.

Comment

i thought about joining..but couldn't justify membership costs
        The creative world is one big double standard....
        BE YOURSELF BUT CONFORM!!

Conformity is the Disease; Rebellion is the Cure

~Stolen from Bladez

Comment

Is anyone here a member and willing to disclose what benefits come with joining? Or is it like a secret society with secret handshakes and codes and you could tell us but then you'd have to kill us?

I've thought of it myself, but I haven't really decided if it was necessary.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Maybe if I owned my own business or freelanced I'd be more inclined to join for networking reasons. Otherwise, as an inhouse designer I'm just not that drawn to it. Especially considering the cost vs. benefits ratio. Maybe that's their way of keeping the riffraff out.

And sorry for wandering off topic, but Virgo, I can't see secret handshake and not post this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mynock View Post
              To this forum? Yes.
              You can still join the forum without official AIGA membership, but nobody will talk to you.
              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
              mediamainline.com
              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I had one in college... I got a card to put in my wallet. There were a couple of neat books I got. I probably got some newletters that I never opened too.

Comment

No ned to have success you need to be a member of this forum. Gosh.
                    Less be more.

Comment

Oh, I get it now! I'm just slow as ever...
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chompiraz View Post
                        I was just wondering who was a member of AIGA, how you have benefited from it, and if it is worth having a membership. I have been to the site and they have the most generic explanation possible for joining, mentioning something about intangible benefits too good to pass up or something. What perks are there? How much is it rewarded when looking for a job? I kind of want to rebel against the system of memberships and not join, but if it can harm my career I am not sure I should do that just yet. Any info?
                        similar discussion was brought up here: http://www.davidairey.com/trade-asso...hic-designers/

Comment

But do they have bacon? (Or tacos or pancakes, for that matter.)

Comment

No, they have cookies.
                            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                            mediamainline.com
                            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X