Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to (Possibly) doing a commission for the first time, need intro
    Buda
    Just curious if you are thinking of using copyright and trademarked comic book and movie characters in your design?
    Today, 01:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Design Quotes
    Buda
    Hi c_fowler336 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 01:37 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best designed magazine page spread you have seen?

I have been set a new project at Uni where I have to create a personally designed book and a 2 page spread of the same nature for a collaborative book.

As the project is "Image-making and typography" I have been looking at magazine/catalogue layouts for reference. I assume a lot of you have seen or designed some that really impressed you?

I quite like these as an example:
    http://magculture.com/blog/wp-conten...nderspread.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qs9sJQHsZA...mb-480x336.jpg

I would like to see what people recommend, thanks very much.
    "When in doubt, make it big. If still in doubt make it red."

2 words for you....

book store.
    Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Yeah I know I can easily find examples in the book store, and have looked at loads. I just wanted to see what good examples of design people have seen because its such a huge medium. I'm sure there are loads of famous examples that I don't know about that some of the more knowledgeable people on here know about, that I have no clue about.

Comment

If memory serves me, probably Miss April... um, 1978?

Comment

LOL, I always find myself paying more attention to the topography rather than typography on those kinds of magazine spreads.

Comment

there are words in those magazines???

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I think you guys have got the wrong idea

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                LOL, I always find myself paying more attention to the topography rather than typography on those kinds of magazine spreads.
                Great pun, I might have to use it around some of my friends

Comment

Cool little project, stupidly easy.

I can't ref one or two particular page layouts, but I'd say Very Elle mag was well done. Dramatic type, dramatic typography, and dramatic imagery .

Varoom is good to, but a bit less consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Grfk Dzgn View Post
                    Cool little project, stupidly easy.

I can't ref one or two particular page layouts, but I'd say Very Elle mag was well done. Dramatic type, dramatic typography, and dramatic imagery .

Varoom is good to, but a bit less consistent.
                    Thanks very much, that is the kind of thing I was looking for

Comment

Found this site on creativity in magazine design, pretty cool:

http://www.behance.net/Circles/Cool-...e-Design/55323

Comment

fabulous layouts here:

http://www.coopercarry.com/here/#1
                        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by J.Payne View Post
                          Found this site on creativity in magazine design, pretty cool:

http://www.behance.net/Circles/Cool-...e-Design/55323

????

Status
                          Behance is undergoing a scheduled maintenance to improve our services. We will be back up shortly.
                          Sigs. Made by the internet, for the internet.

Comment

J.P, personally, I think you should consider expanding your inspiration beyond the mag/cat layout samplings. This is a ultimately a book design you're working on, correct? The 'collaborative' book you've mentioned... what's the level of collaboration? Is it just a fancy catalogue of the student books, or does the level of collaboration go much further?

If it is just a book design catalogue, then is it your goal to stand out among the pages of that collective or is it your goal to target book design and distill some kind of reader tease to track down the book in the collective edition?

In all, the project theme "image making and typography" is so wide-open, unless you were given more specifics than that, you might find that you're going to spend MORE time trying to find and narrow down your ideas than doing the actual design. But, that's one of the big diffs between school and reality.

If it was me, the first thing I'd do would be to invent new restrictions on the project itself. Restrictions are so critical to creative innovation and developing real working professional design skills! It always bothers me when I read about teachers who assign wide open projects and assignments on the premise that 'the students need to have enough freedom to choose something that motivates them'. I disagree--one of the key differences between a pro and a student and/or hobbyist design is that a pro can take a project assignment that she might be totally bored or unfamiliar with from a subject or style standpoint and work through all that to a great-looking solution. An amateur, or a lot of students apparently, will just poke at it, sniff it, and then give up. Something else, please. It's like trying to teach kids to eat more fruits and vegetables by letting them choose what goes into the shopping cart. Doesn't work very well, and in the end-- you've got a lot of overweight, unhealthy children who THINK that they know all about proper nutrition.

Those 'super-duper' award-winning layout sites are kind of like that. The spreads look much more like beautiful illustration than anything else most of the time. Or... student projects. Now, assign yourself some REAL graphic world restrictions-- the kind you'd find in almost any in-house newsletter assignment, or trade magazine. Learning to effectively 'sell' white-space, for example, when everyone is crying for it to be plugged. Learning to design a layout template that can be used for years, not just once. Learning to work with really sad, crappy copy that really CAN'T be edited because the VP who wrote it considers herself a goddess of communications, and besides, has a masters' degree in French lit. Or dealing ORIGINALLY with crowd shot photos, or low production budgets, or impossible deadlines. These are the skills that most often do not get addressed with the wider open assignments-- and the solutions are definitely not the ones you'll see in most design award annuals!

But maybe that kind of approach would be a little TOO real. Okay, go the other way. Production. Limit yourself to a unique set of production media. Full colour? No. Computer? No. Make it black and white. On butcher paper. With rubber stamps and natural dyes you've distilled from decaying mushrooms (if you must ask, yes, I've done something very close to this). Or why paper? Why ink? Think about it.

Or copy. Does it have to be English? Does it have to be readable at all from a formal language sense? Readable by what standard? Does the type need to be set linear? A book of what? What constitutes 'book'? Bound pages? Pages? Covers? Rectilinear shape--for all pages? Is page sequence critical? Why or why not? 2D, 3D? Or, 1D? (I can think of a couple solutions to that last one, if I try).

It doesn't matter what your production or design limits are that you set, just start with these, articulated well-- and use that to sell it as much more of an accomplishment than trying to do a creative chromosone swap with something cool you saw on some website.

Quite often the best creative tool are the limits that you introduce yourself. And just as often, the worst creative block is no limits at all. And if you think about that for a minute or two, you might see that the whole 'limit' message plays a critical role in the history and evolution of type and image itself.

Comment

Broacher - really appreciate the help.

There is a more specific brief to the project but I didn't intend to go into details. I totally agree with what you were saying about more wide-open projects not being challenging enough as I have had a few like that and prefer work on the briefs with narrower restrictions.

The brief we were set is to use "8 found rules" as the basis of the project, they could be as simple as the instructions to baking a cake. We are to use each rule to make a page for our own personal book. I have not decided on what rules I will use as it is still early days. the collaborative book is merely a 2-page contribution from each student.

As for an alternative approach, I was thinking maybe making 3D models of the text by hand and putting in a enviroment reflective of the rules I choose and photographing them so that the type was part of the image.

I know that is still quite vague, but I would appreciate your help. Thanks very much

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X